volvo penta DPX-A sterndrive removal

Is anyone familiar with the removal procedure for a 2001 Volvo Penta DPX-A drive? Is the u-joint sealed, or need annual greasing? Any seals/o-rings that should be replaced as preventitive maintenaince?

The boat is a new-to-me Formula 271 Fastech with the VP HP 525 DPX combo. When asking around, I been told that the drive does not need greasing or to be removed annually to renew seals, etc. However, I'd like to at least replace the rubber bellows between the drive and the transom shield. Assuming the drive has to be removed to do this, I'd like to attend to any other items at that time.

Anyone familiar with step-by-step instructions? Info for this drive is a bit more difficult to locate than I expected.

Thanks,
Jeff

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo penta DPX-A sterndrive removal

Do you have a SN for your engine and/or the outdrive?
I might be able to come up with some info for you.

I've located a couple of workshop manuals for the dpx drive...one I have (p/n 7797366-2) and one on the way (p/n 7747250).

The manual I have says nothing about service or maintenence recommendations and only provides some detail about assembly/dissassembly of some of the major components.

Anyone familiar with another manual for this drive that might be more detailed (not a Volvo Penta manual)?

Thanks,
Jeff

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That 7747250 number is for an XDP, which is a completely different drive than a DPX.
Basically, you aren't going to find a detailed manual like you want. Aftermarket manuals only cover some things that are actually in an OEM manual and usually a lot less.
While the 366 manual is the lower unit, you need to get a manual for the upper which is a DP-G manual. PN 7741532 and does include R&R instructions.
You can go to the Volvo Penta site and download a free owners manual and maintenance info for most engines and drives, might give it a look see.