Starter repair Volvo AQ125A: Hitachi starter? PICS

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
I will be repairing the starter on my AQ125A volvo engine. The bendix isn't engaging the flywheel and I have a replacement part for that. Engine does not turn over, starter just spins...last fall it started making a squealing noise now it does not engage.

However, the Seloc manual doesn't show the Hitachi- does anyone have a schematic for this model starter? Or where can I get one? Seloc shows the Delco, Autolite, Bosch, and Prestolite- is the Hitachi close enough to one of these to be helpful? Also, I need the drive end bushing- is this an item any auto electrical repair shop should have or is there some other place I can get one?

Any advice in doing this job is welcome since its my first time!
Joe

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Starter repair: Hitachi

Re: Starter repair: Hitachi

Ayuh,.... Sorry I can't Help,....

I started just Replacing Starters about 40 Years ago,+ haven't taken 1 apart since.....

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starter repair Volvo AQ125A: Hitachi starter?

Pulled the starter tonite, and the gear that meshes into the flywheel definitely looks worn on the teeth- I think that was the problem. Starter spun but the teeth did not engage. Don't see any damage on the flywheel but need to inspect it more closely.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

OK so the starter came off the boat easily enough and I opened it up and you can see from the pics how corroded it is on the armature. I didnt expect any shiny parts in a 23 year old part, but it sure is cruddy both the coils and the armature. What do I have to do about the corrosion? Does not look really pitted just surface corrosion.

Also there seems to be some kind of thrust collar holding the bendix unit on the shaft but I can't seem to see how it comes off? Anyone who worked on a similar starter have any ideas?

Do you think this starter is shot?

Thanks,

Joe

Attachments

• DSCN1620.jpg
    DSCN1620.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1622.jpg
    DSCN1622.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Take it to a starter rebuild shop and see if they can fix it. If they can't replace it.
There is nothing you can do with it.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starter repair Volvo AQ125A: Hitachi starter? PICS

thanks Don. I found a good alternator/starter repair shop that one of the local boat dealers uses. He tested it out and thinks he can repair it.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

Got the starter back from the repair shop today, he did a good job and it ran fine on the bench. Will install tomorrow. I bought the bendix unit and brushes= $23 and the repair = $65 so for $88 the starter was rebuilt. Thanks to all who replied.

Joe

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Got the starter back from the repair shop today, he did a good job and it ran fine on the bench. Will install tomorrow. I bought the bendix unit and brushes= $23 and the repair = $65 so for $88 the starter was rebuilt. Thanks to all who replied.

Joe

I had a Bosch AQ125A starter rebuilt locally for 1/4 the cost of a new one a few years ago. This one had been submerged for months so I was shocked they we able to rebuild it. I always try to have starters and alternators rebuilt by my local shop.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

Starts great now every time, that is once I got some carb problems sorted out. Now I am going to do a carb rebuild. The fun never ends!