Bellow change on Volvo Penta DPA

Juhl

Cadet
Hello

I have a question regarding the correct way of changing the bellows on Volvo Penta outdrives like DPA.
According to the VP Workshopmanual I have to pull the outdrive.( heavy and alway troubles in gettting the exhaust bellow and waterhose back again)
Here at Iboats I have seen that you recommend only to take of the upper gearhous off, which for me looks far easier.
My question is why is it not recommended by VP in their manual? are there any hidden problems?
Will it be necessary to do the pressure and vaccum test after reassembly?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bellow change on Volvo Penta DPA

My question is why is it not recommended by VP in their manual?
What manual are you reading? I know it's not an OEM manual because Volvo doesn't give specifics on HOW to change the bellows.
All of Volvo's OEM service manuals back then were designed for Volvo techs that went to the tech schools to learn how to do the jobs.

are there any hidden problems?

Not changing the orings and seals, and/or loosing the shims when you pull the upper gear box would be about the only hidden problems.

Will it be necessary to do the pressure and vaccum test after reassembly?

I do, simply because it's easy to do while the drive is drained, and it lets you know if you missed an oring or one got out of place while reassembling.
VERY cheap insurance.

Takes about an hour to change the gear lube and bellows after you have done it a time or two and see how it's done.

Removingtopbox2.png

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

about thye only hard part is if the coupler tries to come up with the upper, its a pain but not hard.
if all I am after is bellows maint then I just pull the upper box.
if all goes perfect 1 to 1.5 hours, if not maybe a bit more.
depends on salt corrosion.

Maclin

Admiral

I needed to do u-joints and bellows and raw water pickup hose and the fitting and just removed the upper part of the drive. Once the upper drive is off the raw water hose nipple fitting is right there, those corrode very quickly and it is a good idea to take the hose off and check the fitting while it is so accessible.