OMC to volvo dp lower unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

godbk

Recruit
My question is i have a 93 Fourwinns 190 horizon and it has the OMC ford 5.0 efi cobra engine in it. I was looking at the Volvo duo prop lower unit the housings look to be very similar has any one ever tried to do a swap like this or know of anyone that has? I know if it would bolt up i would have to do prop pitching to get the engine rpm in the correct range.

njlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: OMC to volvo dp lower unit

If you check the performace figures on the FW site you will see there is only a 1-2 mph difference in performace. Not worth the effort or the cost IMHO.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No, you can't just change the lower units. You would have to change the whole drive, bellhousing, shift cable, and install a raw water pump on the engine. They may look the same, but they are completely different inside.
Volvo does sell kits to change drives, and while you might only get 1 or 2 mph gain at full speed (I find that information wrong in real life), that is only a small part of what the dp does. Better hole shots, better economy, better straight line low speed control. Lower rpm to keep the same speed as you now get, etc.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I did a similar thing in replacing my 87 460 King Cobra with a 97 454 Bravo III in my 211 Liberator.

My brother bought this boat new with the 460. I would say the 454 is probably about the same in crankshaft HP as the 460 was...maybe 10hp less. (460 was rated at 340hp with thru-hull exhaust)

The boat goes about the same top speed as it always did....right around 58mph.....he claimed 60.. (and my brother propped and ran it at 5000 rpm, OMC recommended 4400-4800 max WOT)

When he was here last fall we took it over to the local lake and he drove it around the lake. He said it it came out of the hole and accelerated more than twice as fast to any speed as it ever did when new! Of course he was also amazed at the reverse and slow speed handling too.

I was originally looking for a eng/Bravo I (single prop drive) and this one popped up on Craigslist first so I jumped on it. Now I don't think I'd have a boat without a dual counter-rotating prop system!

Regards,

Rick

crestapre

Seaman Apprentice

Not to highjack the thread but...

Don, I've got 1994 OMC/VP SX drives
can I swap the lowers to make it a DP?
I've got the joint venture drive with the water pump on the engine...

Thanks

Don S

Yes you can.

ce182cj2004

Recruit

I've got a 1993 four winns 190 Horizon powered by a omc 5.8L cobra with motor and gimble out while doing some transom repair work. where would I find info or what is required to change to a volvo dp? would be looking for used bargain parts to do the swap as the conversion kits http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/index.html look too pricey.

Don S

Best to start your own thread, not just tack on to something similar. No one will see your question in the middle of someone elses thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.