Volvo Penta Starter Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

seatek

Cadet
Thanks to all who responded to my first post regarding the stuck starter drive.
I thought I'd post this to debunk some of the comments on the other two lively threads concerning marine vs automotive starters and add a few of my own.
The first thing I did was to remove the solenoid. I then placed a wire hook inside the nose cone and tried to pull back on the fork to see if the drive gear would move. It was still stuck. To verify if the solenoid was indeed bad, I hooked it up to a 12 volt source, had another person hold the plunger inside the coil and energized it. Well, that's a pretty strong solenoid and he was unable to stop the plunger from flying out and heading over the other side of the bench.
Anyway, I decided to take the whole thing apart. Below is a description of the picture, Top to bottom, left to right.

Nose cone (aluminum)
Nose cone sealing ring (seals between the magnet housing/sun gear and nose cone)
Nose cone sealing gasket (seals the slot for the drive fork in the nose cone)
Drive fork retainer
Drive fork (plastic!!!)
Solenoid
Permanent magnet housing (viewed from cone end)
Sun gear (plastic!!!)
Planetary gears (metal)
Bendix drive shaft
Starter drive
Starter drive retaining ring
Starter drive retainer
Armature
End cap with brush holder and brushes.

Upon complete disassembly there was no water intrusion past the nose cone.
The starter drive was actually stuck on the SPIRAL bendix part of the drive shaft. There was little or no grease here. There was also little or no grease on the sun/planetary gears either.
As far as being "marine", yes and no and this IMHO.
There are seals at the nose cone end (Water still leaked by the fork gasket into the nose cone), but not into the rest of the starter.
There is no seal between the end cap and the magnet housing. However there is a grommet for the power supply to the brushes through the end cap (all starters have this).
The drive shaft is not stainless, neither is the drive retainer or ring.
I'm going to clean everything up and reassemble it with a new solenoid as I dropped the starter in the bilge when removing it and bent one of the studs.
Thanks to Ron7000 for the link but there is no "slave' solenoid, just the one on the starter.
I'm also going to crack the cover plate as suggested to see if there is water.
It's entirely possible as that water has somehow made it down there when I drain the exhaust manifolds. (Thanks Lou C) I'm hoping that's what caused this.
To be on the safe side I'm still going to yank the OD anyway.
Thanks again to all who replied to the original post.

Attachments

• P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Volvo Penta Starter Rebuild

When you reassemble it remember to use a chassis or other kind of of extreme pressure grease and not wheel bearing grease.

a70eliminator

Captain

That looks like an (non OEM) gear reduction starter so your yes and no answer to it being marine application is accurate, it is non marine specific although this type of starter is said to be acceptable in marine environment. although I may be wrong because I'm no expert on the Volvo Penta stuff.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I replaced mine last spring because it barely cranked the engine over, and started to smoke, the previous fall when I winterized it. I have no idea how old that one was, it wasn't the OE one for sure, but the outside was really rusty. When I drain the manifold, now I put a plastic freezer bag or similar over the starter to keep water from draining all over it. Also make sure the manifold drain plug or cap does not leak, that should help. My guess is that these I/O starters are not going to last as long as auto starters because of the damp environment, so anything you can do to cut down on them getting wet is a help. Luckily the access on my boat is pretty good, I can see how on some it's a real bear to get it out.

seatek

Cadet

Thanks Lou C. I installed valves on the back of the manifolds and ran plastic drain tubing so the water does not drain all over the starter anymore.
New solenoid came in the mail yesterday. Wrong one. Three hole mount instead of two and the pull off plunger was way too short. E-mailed the company and while I did get an e-mail back within the hour, they stated that the one they sent is for the 3860566 starter and it's the only one listed. I said yeah right can I have a refund? At least they're going to take it back.
I ended up putting the starter back together with the old solenoid since the stud wasn't bent but a hair; and Voila! the engine has never turned over better than now.
Still a royal PITA putting it back on though and I have to clean up the blood again.
Next weekend the drive is coming off. It never ends......

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

So far I've had good luck with the MES starter I bought at a local marine shop, brand new for $150 and a guarantee. This thing is still running the original alternator, circulator pump on the front of the engine, and 4 bbl Quadrajet, the only thing I've replaced on the engine except the starter is the manifolds and thermostat. Not too bad for a 20 year old...

njlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Seatec, would love to see ho you added valves to the manifolds. Any specs or pics? Great idea. Prying the plastic caps off my '95 5.0 is a pita every fall.
Thanks.

seatek

Cadet

Hey Seatec, would love to see ho you added valves to the manifolds. Any specs or pics? Great idea. Prying the plastic caps off my '95 5.0 is a pita every fall.
Thanks.

I'll post some pics over the weekend when I yank the OD.

ron7000

Banned

When you reassemble it remember to use a chassis or other kind of of extreme pressure grease and not wheel bearing grease.

why do you say not to use wheel bearing grease, what makes it a bad choice to use? Can you even find a grease that is just GC rated?

klh

Recruit

Volvo Penta. Was acting like the solenoid was bad. Took apart and replaced brushes, starter drive and looked at solenoid. Everything is working except when I try to ground the body to test I am not grounding. What the heck did I do wrong in assembly? I am sure that I am supposed to be able to ground on the body and then run power to the positive post and do a bench test. Does not ground that way but will on the neg side of the Solenoid. Drive kicks out but will not remain. Surges.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You need to start your own thread. This thread is 3 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.