Volvo Penta 260 Heads

jgjg

Cadet
Have a 1985 26' Bayliner Ciera with a Volvo Penta 260 engine. Can I remove the intake/exhaust manifolds & heads without fear of taking on water? Boat is in the water, needs head work & I have no trailer.

jdshort98

Cadet
Re: Volvo Penta 260 Heads

That depends on the weight of the boat, how far the back of the boat is in the water. Take a piece of clear hose, like 1/4 inch ID, about 10 feet long, and perform a test. With the boat in the water, lean over the side of the boat, put the hose completely under water until the hose is full. Put your finger over one end to keep the water in, and bring that end into the engine compartment. Be sure to leave the other end under water, so the hose stays full. Form a loop inside the boat near the exhaust riser, and let go of the end of the hose. When you do so, the water in the loop should equalize at the same height of the water out side the boat. If the water is taller than the rubber boots attaching the riser to the exhaust Y-pipe, then it will leak if you remove the exhaust riser.

Good luck!

jgjg

Cadet

The rubber boots are well above the water line, probably 20" or more.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You should be ok, if you take some precautions. Once you pull the risers, plug the opening to the exhaust Y. Make sure your bilge pump and float switch work, and keep a close eye on it.

jgjg

Cadet

The problem is a sticking or bent valve on #4 cylinder. I had a bent pushrod. I found the valve stuck closed. Engine has not been ran in 6 mths. I will try to free up the valve tommorrow. If unsuccessful, the heads will be removed. Have you had any luck unsticking a valve?

Don S

If unsuccessful, the heads will be removed. Have you had any luck unsticking a valve?

Nope, usually they are stuck because of rust due to water in the cylinders from possibly leaky or cracked manifolds and risers. Does the engine turn over with the starter or by hand?

Robj

Lieutenant

As long as you do not remove the Y pipe you should be OK. Where the Y pipe goes onto the transom plate is below the water line so you do not want to remove it.

Have a great day,

Rob.

jgjg

Cadet

Yes, the engine will turn over & start & runs reasonbly well considering what I found.

Don S

Just an FYI Rob, you can't remove the Y pipe on the Volvo 270 or 280 outdrive. The bolts are outside and underwater.

jgjg, if the engine cranks over, it's time to pull the head and find out WHY, it went bad. Don't just fix the valve, find out why it stuck.