Volvo IPS smokes V-drives in test

QC

Supreme Mariner
These results are nothing short of phenomenal. While not a "perfect" test, read toward the bottom and you'll see why I believe that it is in fact conservative . . . the IPS had a tougher job to do.

Although this is not a traditional I/O, and it is a much bigger boat than most of us will ever own, the core reasons that an I/O (or even an OB) will outperform direct drive and v-drive inboards is still here. The inboards waste power pushing down. You cannot escape it.

IPS vs. V-drive test

Another thing that I can rarely convince most bosses that I have had. Volvo has not increased their pricing to equal the IPS's delivered value. Instead they are apparently content to allow the spectacular performance lead to major increases in market share and that is how they will make big bucks. Most of these guys just cannot see that. Kudos to Volvo!!! :cool:

Edit: Anybody want to loan me a cool Million?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo IPS smokes V-drives in test

I guess nobody thought this was interetsing . . . It blew me away.

tommays

Admiral

I like to read boatest BUT they overlook even huge problems when they review boats makeing the reviews just a bit better than and advertisement

I think the forward faceing porps abilty to give great performance are a BIG tradeoff compared to whats gonna happen if you encounter anything underwater

Even a small branch is dirrectly into the props :eek:

Now when the Zeus system gets going and they have a head to head that will be a fun match

Tommays

QC

Supreme Mariner

Don't disagree, but IBs are not much better. Also, this is for big boats. Yes I know they could hit a whale or sumpin', but the efficiency benefits are astounding. Engine technology that achieves 2% better efficiency is big news. This system is 33% more efficient . . .

I also read something somewhere about shear off stuff and how they won't sink. I agree on your BoatTest comments. I only look at data and pictures. I throw out bogus data, but I believe they explained that well in this case.

ziggy

Admiral

I guess nobody thought this was interetsing
i think it's interesting too. when i get much much more filthy rich i will then find it much much more interesting though. them fwd faceing props would worry me too on the tractor drive. at least zeus has the props behind. the shearin yer drive off if ya hit something sounds like a bummer. blub, blub. might be a good way to sells new ips drives though. i understand that nothing likes to come into contact underwater at speed. but designed to shear off? i guess if yer rich enough to have one. what's another drive after ya shear it off. machs nichts i suppose.........probably better than a big hole in the bottom though.
all that aside. the technology is outstanding. now if they can get this idea into boats that regular folks use. now that would be interesting.....:)

is this perhaps a high tech, high hp version of a saildrive?

QC

Supreme Mariner

I might have that shearin' deal wrong. Maybe there's a tether, but I remember they had something to keeping the whole boat from going blub, blub . . . :eek:

tommays

Admiral

If it is shallow enough to break one off YOU should be able to find it :D

They are ment to shear BEFORE they do structural damage to the hull ;) and sink the boat

Tommays

hbski

Cadet

The happy marketing talk in one of the articles spoke of bringing the technology to small boats and even outboards

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Those drives are not going to fall off everytime you hit some stick or hit the bottom. The are designed to break off just short of structural damage, but you should see the structure that is built around the mount for the IPS.
Besides that, the things are huge and strong.
Besides anyone with a boat that has them, also has insurance that will cover the loss, or doesn't need it.