Volvo SX shift cable?

shu5720

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys, after help from you and and several adjustments of the shift cable on my 2002 Volvo SX-M drive, I think the best course of action is to replace the control cables. I have the thottle cable out of the boat and the shift cable disconnected from both ends (brass nuts etc. removed). I wanted to ask you before pulling harder on it. The cable feeds into a hose that leads to the outdrive but does not seem to want to come out. Any suggestions? I tried searching the forum but cant seem to find the answer. I have the Clymer shop manual but it only mentions adjusting it, not replacing it. Also, any recommendations on quality replacement cables? The shift control seems to shift free with good detents with the cables unattached. Is it worth keeping or smarter to replace it? Thanks again for all your expertise.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo SX shift cable?

No manual gives you a step by step on how to replace a cable like that. That's why us marine mechanics make the big bucks (Yea right) we know that every boat is different even if the names are the same. We also know to stay away from Clymers serviceless manuals.

Now, to your problem. You will have to lower that hose so you can make as straight a shot as possible thru the transom shield. Many times it's easier to go from the drive side and push the cable thru, with someone inside moving the hose so you don't poke a hole thru the hose. LIke I said, they are always different, whatever works is what works.
On a couple of them, (due to boat/stringer design) I have had to lift the engine.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

try pouring some dishwashing liquid down the tube. It will help lubricate it.

shu5720

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. Don, I will have my first mate assist. She gets the big bucks too! Do you have any suggestions for a replacement cable set? If it comes out that hard, how tuff is it to get back in? Thanks again.