3.0 Volvo Burts Coolant Hose...a 2nd time this season!!!

4winnsskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Heres the deal,

first time out this season the water hose from the thermostat housing to the block BURST, so i ordered two new ones as a backup, thank God I did that!, and put the new one on, and pulled the drive to do ruitine maintenence, well low and behold i found a burnt up exhaust flapper clogging the exhaust, so i figure that was probably what caused the excess pressure.....i also replace the thermostat too with a new oem 160 direct from volvo. also replace the impellar with a new one, the one i toke out also looked brand new, no chunks missing. removed riser, all hoses , all were clear and flowed water really well.

fast forward to mid season

i notice when i started the engine today, the hose expanded immediatly after the engine started and thought oh no...let it idle for awhile nothing happened or changed so i drove off....well little later, kaboom goes the hose, immediately shut 'er down, replace the hose on the water (thank you backup hose) and idle back to shore...

so what is causing this!?!? Im thinking a bad headgasket pushing compression into the water jackets?????? engine does not run warm at all, sits right around 160, goes a tad above, thermostat opens and goes right down, has done that just fine all season. also, the plugs looked fairly normal, no rust or evidence of water intrusion, motor runs STRONG, boat tops out around 40mph with an oversized 22 pitch at only 4,100 rpms (too much prop)...idles all day long, starts fine, etc....im lost...need opinions.....see pictures..

Attachments

• Holley Carb 010.jpg
    Holley Carb 010.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Holley Carb 013.jpg
    Holley Carb 013.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Holley Carb 012.jpg
    Holley Carb 012.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 3

Coors

Captain
Re: 3.0 Volvo Burts Coolant Hose...a 2nd time this season!!!

Is this a boat you bought new? or used?
If bought used, there may be some destroyed pieces of old impeller, etc in the system..

4winnsskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is this a boat you bought new? or used?
If bought used, there may be some destroyed pieces of old impeller, etc in the system..

used with 20 hours on it... how do i even go about removing these pieces?! the two local mechanics said pieces of impellar too jammed...but where?!?!? i removed all hoses, riser, installed new impeller...the only thing left is some mega piece of impellar jammed in multiple water jackets in the block/head?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

In the engine circulating pump?.......
This is just a guess.......;)

4winnsskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class

In the engine circulating pump?.......
This is just a guess.......;)

i removed the circulating pump, impellar, thermostat housing, thermostat, all hoses, everything looks clear. im lost man, some how extreme pressure is being built up in that hose....i see no chunks of anything or anything wrong at all....what else to check??? it's pretty cavernous in that block, seems it would take one hell of a chunk to block flow, and even then wouldn't it have to pass through the thermostat first? if so wouldn't the chunk be too small to clog anything else downstream?????

4winnsskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class

After pulling all hoses, i pulled the hose that runs from thermostat area to the riser, and noticed a chunk of rubber in the metal elbow. well i pulled that chunk out and it was huge! water flow appeared to be 95-99% blocked into the riser, here is the picture. now for sure before i bought this, the impellar blew up, into how many pieces is what worries me, and went through the system. now im wondering if there are more of these pieces in there or perhaps this is the last, or one of the last that havn't made it's way out???? any way i can blow that crap out of my engine? water pump is off, and i can reach in the block...suggestions???

Attachments

• Holley Carb.jpg
    Holley Carb.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 3

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

That's a big chunk!.....
You could try backwashing from the point where the coolant enters the engine, but at this point, since you have checked everything, I would put it back together & run it......
It sucks that you didn't have the originally failed impeller to compare & see just how much is in there.....
Hopefully, it passed any more chunks.....
Just keep an eye on it.......:)

4winnsskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class

just an update...found even MORE rubber in that metal elbow, it was COMPLETELY stuff with rubber, i finally got it all out, shot light through it and it's completely clear...im guessing the rubber got stuck, the exhaust riser sort of melted some in place or something but either way, could a completely clogged line to the riser cause my thermostat to circ. pump hose to blow twice????

imported_erick

Seaman Apprentice

I have excesive pressure in my hoses on my 3.0, and I was told to check the riser elbow, which I am gonna do today. The line from the thermostat to the riser should allow water to flow easiliy with no pressure build up. Mine does not when a garden hose is attached. I will be looking for chunks as well.

If I am correct, the clog might be restricting the exhaust water flow and causing excessive pressure in all your hoses. My hoses are rock hard when the boat is running.

All that I said is how I understand it to be. I am not really sure about it, so I hope if I am headed in the wrong direction, someone will let me know.

imported_erick

Seaman Apprentice

I had a chunk of rubber in the thermostat elbow. Removed it and it was better for a little while but still pressure now. Anywhere else to look for blockage?