Volvo 3.0 Noise when running with engine turned??

4winnsskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well after an outing with the boat just today, i noticed a noise...a bad sounding noise...engine/drive have 44 hours on them, 96 volvo penta 3.0 with sx drive. boat has been used very little obviously, and stored on trailer. Engine runs great but when i went to turn the boat with engine in forward gear, the more i turned the boat, the louder the noise got, like a bearing noise....turn drive straight, noise completely gone...

at the begining of the end of last year during winterization i removed the drive, greased the u joints and gimbal bearing with grease spec'd by my volvo manual, ujoints appeared to the be in good shape, looked brand new and i could not make play in them, seemed solid enough. i also greased everything till new grease came out, and whip the old off. i also used an engine alignment tool, and the tool slide in 100% of the way in, no problem, very very little resistance, basically drive was ligned up. i also put new bellows on, both u joint and exhaust....im at a loss what this could be.... im thinking gimbal bearing......i dont know why it would go at 44 hours, maintained regularly...perhaps the u joint bellow is leaking?!?! i also have NEW fluid in the drive, ultra HPF gearcase lube, also per my owners manual. filled to the top, from the bottom, and checked via dipstick with drive level..............

thanks guys for any help in advance!!

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Volvo 3.0 Noise when running with engine turned??

Pull the drive and check for water in the bellows. It sounds like a gimble bearing problem. Odds are that the u-joint bellows is leaking and water has gotten in the bearing. Also check the drive lube for water.

mhunt

Cadet

are you sure it's bearing/u-joint related? With only 44 hours of use as well as being well maintained by yourself, it sounds like the bearing and u joints should be perfect. When you say it sounds like a bearing, what exactly do you mean? Reason I ask is because with it being 11 years old the belts could possibly be dry rotted and making a squeal when the motor is under more strain under a turn. Just a suggestion.

Casmoboy2171

Cadet

I bought a Glastron SX175 with Volvo engine in 2002. I ran it for 2 weeks and gimble bearing went out from leaky bellow. I lost all grease. It was covered under warranty, but still a pain.