200 hour maintenance-Volvo 4.3 + SX

dmorgan

Recruit
I have read good things about this forum on other sites, and I am excited to tap the knowledge of yous guys!!

As stated, I have a Volvo (GM vortec) 4.3 non-fuel inj, + a SX drive and just reached the 200 hour mark. I am happy to say that the first 200 hours have been trouble-free!!, just summer/winterizing. I am interested in knowing what service//maintenance procedures would be required/recommended at this interval.

Thanks for any input on this matter, happy boating

DMorgan - Lake Norman, NC

Apocalypso

Cadet
Re: 200 hour maintenance-Volvo 4.3 + SX

I have the same 1996 drive and engine combination with about 300 hours on it. Since I have owned the boat (bought it new) I have had to replace several parts in addition to normal winterization. They were:
1) raw water impellor twice, factory recommends every other year
2) drive and exhaust bellows (however still good after ten years)
3) water circulation pump (front of engine)
4) ignition cap and rotor (every year)
5) thermostat (twice)

I would check the condition of these components but definitely replace the raw water impellor. If it hasn't lost all of its vanes, it will and the pieces end up plugging various channels in the water circulating system. Also, did your winterization include pulling the outdrive and greasing the u-joints every other year? Preventive maintenance will provide you with the best boating experience possible.
HTH, Jim