Volvo-Penta Distributor Hold-Down bolt

Rick180

Recruit
Hi!
I've got a Horizon 180 with a 4.3 GL-D (red engine). The engine has been running rich, so I want to retard the distributor a few degrees (after attaching the shunt and using a timing light). The hold-down bolt for the distributor is a tamper-resistant screw/bolt. What it is, is a hex (allen) shape with a pin in the middle of it. It seems to be a 5.5mm. Anybody know what size it exactly is and where I can get a bit? I called my dealer and they won't sell me the tool. I can find 5 and 6mm tamper resistant hex bits, but not a 5.5mm. I have a 5.5mm allen wrench, and am thinking of knocking out that pin or using an extractor. I hate to go to that extreme, but I'd just like to remove that bolt and replace it with something more common.

Thanks,
Rick

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Volvo-Penta Distributor Hold-Down bolt

First off.....If it's running rich changing the timing will have No effect on it. Running rich is a carburation/fuel problem.

Why do you think it's running rich?

Rick180

Recruit

After pulling a skier or tube, my engine has the "dieseling" problem of not shutting off after turning off the key. It also idles (what I think) a little rough. Also, some hesitation at acceleration from a dead stop...I can't go to WOT w/o it first hesitating, then taking off. I've taken it to the dealer twice (under warranty) and told them about the problem. No good. Now it's my turn. I replaced the plugs last month, and they were black indicating the engine was running rich. If you have any direction on what I should first do, I'm open.

Thanks,
Rick

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

After pulling a skier or tube, my engine has the "dieseling" problem of not shutting off after turning off the key. It also idles (what I think) a little rough. Also, some hesitation at acceleration from a dead stop...I can't go to WOT w/o it first hesitating, then taking off. I've taken it to the dealer twice (under warranty) and told them about the problem. No good. Now it's my turn. I replaced the plugs last month, and they were black indicating the engine was running rich. If you have any direction on what I should first do, I'm open.

Thanks,
Rick

Generally, dieseling is caused by a ''lean'' condition, not a rich condition. The hesitation could also be a lean issue.

Bondo

Staff member

I've taken it to the dealer twice (under warranty) and told them about the problem. No good. Now it's my turn.

I suggest you either go Back to the Dealer,+ raise alittle 'ell about it,........
Or,.......
Find yourself Another Mechanic to work on it,........
'cause by the sound of your post,......
You're Already in Way Over Your Head..........
And,......
You're going to Void any warranty you have left.........
Just adding this in Bondo for others but without bringing up the post again.😉 FT.

1688767218535.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: