Volvo Penta/GM Parts Cross Reference??

murkywater

Cadet
Where can I find parts cross reference from Volvo Penta to GM. I need a new alternator and power steering pump for my 2002 Volvo Penta 5.0 GL-C? It is a GM 5.0 liter V-8, so I think that GM parts should work, correct? The Volvo Penta part number for the alternator is 3862612 (made in Korea by Valeo).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta/GM Parts Cross Reference??

What Volvo receives from GM is a long block with intake manifold. So none of the front pulleys, PS, belts, alternators, carbs, distributors (Sometimes) exhaust and all hoses are all Volvo.
Besides, a GM alternator is not marine rated and shouldn't be used because it's an explosion hazard.
Now you can get aftermarket parts. NAPA carries alternators that will fit, but they are marine rated alternators. The power steering pumps are usually built for Volvo so they will fit their brackets. What is wrong with yours?

murkywater

Cadet

Thanks for setting me straight. My power steering pump and alternator have both corroded as a result of water leaking into the engine compartment. In fact, the power steering pump has a hole from the rust. Crownline did not waterrproof the engine compartment cover, cabin drain hoses, etc... I have a 2003 Crownline 290CR cabin cruiser.

Thanks for the information. Any other aftermarket Volvo Penta parts distributor besides NAPA?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is lots of them. Have you looked at the top of this forum at all????
Iboats has OEM and aftermarket Volvo parts.

Robj

Lieutenant

Take your alternator to an alternator shop and have them look at it. That is what I did and ended up replacing my Paris Rhone alternator with a marine rated Delco. It has marine rated right on the alternator, and has the outside mesh cage. Everything lines up perfectly, but my engine is a 4 cylinder. That swap saved me over $100. Regarding the PS pump I do not know what a marine one looks like, so I cannot comment. However I would look to see if I could find an automotive equivalent. I believe it is one of those parts which you can swap marine and automotive without it being a safety concern. It is only a hydraulic pump. The same cannot be said for an alternator, they must be marine rated.

Have a great day,

Rob.