volvo 170 carb trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhoule

Recruit
i just bought a boat 71' cyrysler boat with the 170 volvo in it. the guy that i bought it from just had the carbs rebuilt and when it was all done the idle stays at 1500 2000 rpm when you put back into neutral. he told me that the eay around it was when you bring back the throttle on neutral to just shut off the engine for 2 seconds and then turn it back on and it resests the idle back to normal. i really want to make it work smoothly so if anyone has any suggestions that would help me out allot.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo 170 carb trouble

Disconnect the linkage where the throttle cable hooks to the carb linkage. Then adjust the idle down on all three carbs. Make sure they are all the same. All you have to do is get the idle down to 900 to 1000 rpm. Then adjust each up till you see the rpm raise a little, then back it back down. Once all are adjusted, that way, adjust the shift cable so that it slightly preloads the linkage to the idle position.

bhoule

Recruit

how do i know they are all he same? like i said i am new to this whole boat thing, i've never oxned one. it runs really good except for that problem so i'm a little worried about messing it up so it doesn't run. do you think i should attempt this on my own or just take it to a shop. i am mechanical i just have never done boats. does anyone have more detailed instructions on how to do this?

tom travers

Cadet

i have an old volvo aq [/B]170 a, with triple solex carbs, the plugs are fouling and sooty. how do i adjust the mixture to make it run leaner
the cards have been set as in the owners manuel

is there any way i can adjust the mixture screws to get more air and less gas.
do i screw it in more or out more.

thanks
tom

tom travers

Cadet

I Have An Old Volvo Aq 170 A ,it Has Water In The Oil, Could The Oil Cooler Be The Problem?
It Is Cooled With Fresh Lake Water,

If I Bypass The Oil Cooler Could It Be A Problem?
(just To Check And See If That Is The Problem)
I Have Checked The Impellor And It Seems Fine.
(comression Check Was Fine, A Little Low But All The Same In All Six Cylinders)
The Boat Runs At 150 Degrees, How Important Is A Thermostat, At The Present It Has Been Removed?
Thanks
Tom

captmello

Captain

Tom,

Sounds like you have a couple problems with your engine. I think you should start new threads of your own to get your issues resolved. Don't post to an old thread.:rolleyes:;)

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of your problems.:)

captmello

Captain

thanks, how do i post a new thread? i'm new at this
tom

go to the Merc, OMC, Volvo etc main forum page. right above the adults only sticky, the top thread, is a "create new post" button.

Good Luck, I'll look for your thread.:)

sapper24

Recruit

i too have an old volvo aq [/B]170 C, with triple solex carbs, the plugs are fouling and sooty. did you ever sort the problem out? Would be very interested to hear how you overcame the problem.

thanks
bob

Status
Not open for further replies.