Volvo 270 tilt/trim

halfblinddado

Recruit
I have a volvo 270 outdrive that only has tilt, not trim.<br /><br />The electric tilt motor and worm gear are not strong enough to lift the drive while underway. <br /><br />Does it hurt to leave the outdrive in a tilted position while running at speed? <br /><br />The guy I bought it from installed trim tabs but they won't work with the outdrive in the all the way down position.<br /><br />Any suggestions?

magrain

Recruit
Re: Volvo 270 tilt/trim

You must not use the 270 outdrive in anything but a full down and locked position. If you do, than the forward thrust is all on the tilt assembly and it cannot take the pressure. The tilt mechanism is very expensive to repair so this is not a good idea.

billypontrello

Recruit

You must not use the 270 outdrive in anything but a full down and locked position. If you do, than the forward thrust is all on the tilt assembly and it cannot take the pressure. The tilt mechanism is very expensive to repair so this is not a good idea.
cant get it to lock down

snobdr

Seaman

DO NOT attempt to run without the drive all the way down. I made this mistake and broke the suspension fork and destroyed the electric lift. This adds up to lots of cash and boat out of comission. Lucky for me i had a spare drive.
Im in a very shallow area and need to be able to pick up the drive and use foward and reverse so i found a 290 for next to nothing and am converting. Ill write a how to when im further along.

Last edited:

CornishJack

Recruit
I have one tilt drive missing and need a complete replacement. Does anyone know where this available? The boat is a Princess 32 1976 with 2 x AQD21a Volvo Penta 270 I am willing to accept a used one as I doubt that new is still available.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Cornish, You'd be surprised what they still sell.
The lift parts are still available.
They used the lifts on a LOT of drives.
But the new cost is gonna HURT!!
Guessing you in Europe. Try Volvo Europe.
Or Cobe Marine in Pasadena, Md. ne of the better Volvo parts guys.

Yes DON"T go fast with it tilted up.
A friend in Md used to have an older Bayliner with a 275 and his dock was in shallow water.
He would go slow till deeper water then lower it.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
If the outdrive is in the up position, you should be able to push it down by hand. Then use a piece of wood on top of the lift arm on the outdrive to push the vice rod all the way back up. You should get it to latch at that point. If the latch mechanism still doesn't seem to catch, first thing to do is go through the adjustments in the manual. If the lift motor doesn't seem to have much power, but still works, first thing to do is check all of the electrical connections, including the grounds.

For those looking for replacement units, check a local marine boneyard. They become available on ebay once in awhile too. Just prepare yourself for some sticker shock!

Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral
Anyone look at the dates on the first 2 posts? This may qualify for oldest resurrection, although that would have been for the 3rd post that was made last March. Just caught me as kind of funny... :)

Fun Times

Staff member
As usual all latest information is all really good information for the first and second subject in this topic and I don't really want to waste it so I'd like to ask CornishJack to please go ahead and start a new thread of your own if you'd like further assistance plus feel free to reference this topic if you'd like by posting a link in your new topic.

Please see the "Help Tip" at the top of the forum page for more information if you are wondering why the hosts of iboats asks that any topics older than 90 days not be brung up out of the archives.

Thank you, iboats Mod team