How are the new Volvo Penta IPS's?

Scout Sport Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
These things looks awsome. I was reading an article on them in Boating World Magazine and everything seemed just awsome about the whole system until I read one line. "There designed to shear right off if you run aground..." Ill admit I've hit bottom once or twice before (on the skeg) but nothing to stop me. Now wouldnt that suck if you just scrapped the bottom and your whole lower unit comes flying off?:eek:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How are the new Volvo Penta IPS's?

They are designed to shear off just short of it ripping out the bottom of the boat. They do not sear off easily. And if you have to ask how much, you can't afford one.

PS: I really don't think you can even get the IPS system in a boat that sells for less than half a million.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Ya your kids may find one "used" when they are much older. Like Don said they are made for much larger more expensive boats. Boats with crews and big insurance policies.

Scout Sport Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ah ok. Sounds all good. I got all physced when my uncle said he bought a boat with it. Im pretty sure it was a Silverton. Within 24 hours he sold it and bought a bigger one. Retired nam' Colon, retired MTA head. Yeah he gets a mighty big pension. Money isnt an object to him. His boat now has MerCrusiers I think. Do you think the same premise will be applied to smaller outboards in the future? Or is the performance difference not there?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The IPS drive system is not designed to replace outboards or I/O's, they are strictly an option for straight inboards. So trying to compare them with each other just isn't going to work