Winterizing a Volvo 5.7 OSi and XDP-B drive

Jazzbari

Cadet
My Volvo is a closed system. I have both Volvo Manuals but I am still totally confused on how to winterize the Volvo. I know how to winterize a Merc. Anyway the manual esentially just says to drain out all the sea water by removing the drain plugs and leveling the bow down. It doesn't say I must add antifreeze. Is it nessasary? (hope not) If so, how do I do it myself? I also can't figure out how to run water thru the stern drive. My Volvo dealer says Volvo doen't have a muff and I can't figure how to attach a standard muff to that particular drive. (Hello, is anyone out there?)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Winterizing a Volvo 5.7 OSi and XDP-B drive

(Hello, is anyone out there?)

You only posted a few minutes ago, be a little patient!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need to make sure the engine is level when you are draining it, and make sure you run a wire or screwdrive, or somthing in the holes when you remove the plugs to make sure they aren't plugged with dirt or rust or ______.
No, you don't NEED antifreeze in the system. Air doesn't freeze and crack engine parts. Water does that. But antifreeze does prevent corrosion.
The XDP drives don't have muffs that will fit, but there is a flushing hose on the starboard side of the engine (On some of them) that is used to flush the system. Make sure it is connected to the system "BEFORE" the raw water pump. If it is, just hook the hose to it and run the engine, it works the same as muffs. Be sure you have a good seal when you put the plug back in it. IF it is loose and sucks air, you will have an overheat problem and could damage the raw water impeller.

Jazzbari

Cadet

Don said:
You need to make sure the engine is level when you are draining it, and make sure you run a wire or screwdrive, or somthing in the holes when you remove the plugs to make sure they aren't plugged with dirt or rust or ______.
No, you don't NEED antifreeze in the system. Air doesn't freeze and crack engine parts. Water does that. But antifreeze does prevent corrosion.
The XDP drives don't have muffs that will fit, but there is a flushing hose on the starboard side of the engine (On some of them) that is used to flush the system. Make sure it is connected to the system "BEFORE" the raw water pump. If it is, just hook the hose to it and run the engine, it works the same as muffs. Be sure you have a good seal when you put the plug back in it. IF it is loose and sucks air, you will have an overheat problem and could damage the raw water impeller.

Jazzbari

Cadet

Don, that was an easy answer to understand. Thanks alot. Just one more thing. If I want to add antifreze, is it done by just sending it down the flushing hose till I see it come out of the drive? By the way I was just jokeing when I posted (is anyone out there?). I really didn't think anyone would be able to help me so soon. Al