1990 Volvo 431DP outdrive removal

Dslbrnr

Recruit
I am removing my volvo outdrives to replace u joint bellows but am having a problem removing the pivot pins from the transom shield. I have tried slide hammers attached to the pins but am having no luck. Any trade tricks or secrets out there that can help?? I am new to the site and am amazed at all the good info. Has helped me alot in the short time that I have used it. I appreciate that and keep up the good work.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1990 Volvo 431DP outdrive removal

You don't have to remove the complete drive on that model Volvo drive, Just the upper gear box. Usually a half hour to hour tops to replace the bellows and gear lube.

Dslbrnr

Recruit

Don said:
You don't have to remove the complete drive on that model Volvo drive, Just the upper gear box. Usually a half hour to hour tops to replace the bellows and gear lube.
I should have mentioned also that while the outdrives were out I was going to paint them. I bought the boat recently, and the outdrives had some corrosion, so I am going to clean them up and paint them while they are off. I was just out there and was able to pound a couple of the pivot pins in abit. (at least they moved!!) No luck with the other ones yet. I sprayed them with WD40. Hope by morning they will move.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I usually just disconnect the steering helmut from the upper gear box and turn the steering all the way to one side. Then using a brass drift so you don't expand the head of the pins, drive the pins toward the bellows to remove them.
On styles you will have to turn the steering both ways so the pins will clear.