Volvo AQ131/275 Cracked Exhaust Manifold, Bad Tilt Motor, and More

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkuhia

Seaman Apprentice
I recently purchased a 20ft 1987 Bayliner Capri Cuddy Cabin with a Volvo Penta AQ131A engine and 275 outdrive. This is my first boat and I thought I was getting a great deal, but I had a boat shop look at it AFTER I bought the boat (I know, BEFORE would have been smart, but I was swept up with the excitement of finally getting a boat) and this is what he found:

1 - Exhaust manifold is cracked & engine oil is milky
2 - Tilt unit may be bad (might just be tilt motor)
3 - Alternator needs to be rebuilt
4 - Fuel in gas tank prob needs to be pumped out
5 - There is no bilge pump

I've done a little work on car engines in the past, but nothing with boats. If I do this myself, I will buy the official Volvo service manual (if I can find it), but here are my questions:

Exhaust Manifold - How hard is this to replace and are there used ones available somewhere or can I only get one new? What other checks should I do since water is now in the oil?

Tilt Unit - I 150 about the tilt motor and can get a new one for $150, but there is concern about the rest of the tilt unit. Is there a way to test the rest of the 600 unit 1000 that motor (I've heard a Im tilt unit is $600 to $1000!)?

Possible Old Gas - I'm not sure how long the gas has been in the tank without being run. Is there a way to test the gas (or treat it) to see if it is OK without having to pump it out? If not, can I use the same pump I would use to change the engine oil to get the old gas out of the tank?

Bilge - How hard is it to put one of these in?

Sorry for the long post and all of the questions. I appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks!

kkuhia

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Volvo AQ131/275 Cracked Exhaust Manifold, Bad Tilt Motor, and More

Somehow the spell check messed up my tilt unit question. It should actually read:

Tilt Unit - I knew about the tilt motor and can get a new one for $150, but there is concern about the rest of the tilt unit. Is there a way to test the rest of the tilt unit without that motor (I've heard a new tilt unit is $600 to $1000!)?

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to iboats! As far as I'm concerned, the only thing you missed buying it was the tilt problem. If I got a great deal on an older boat, I would replace the manifolds and risers anyway. It's a given about pumping out the old fuel and replacing with new, too. As far as the alternator goes, you can buy a new one and install it yourself for less money than someone else can rebuild your old one. No bilge pump may also be preferable because now you can put whatever you want in there ( easy job, too. ) I'd go with at least an 800gph.. I don't think it's as bad as you might think. You can do everything you listed yourself with the help of this board. Time to roll up your sleeves!

kkuhia

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply bjcsc! I think I'm going to roll my sleeves up and get into this thing myself. My biggest concern is the tilt unit as that is completely foreign to me, but if it is just the little motor and the rest of the unit is fine, then that seems easier to fix (just don't know how to verify that).

Do you know where I can get the official Volvo service manual and if that is the best manual for a beginner like me (I live in Seattle)? Also, where is the best place to buy replacement manifolds/alternator/etc?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't get to worried about the trim motor being bad just yet. There are usually problems with fuses, corroded wiring, bad relays and switches that cause the unit not to work more often than a bad motor.
As for the manuals. Your Volvo dealer can order the manuals for you, they are still available and they are only about 20 bucks each. One for the engine and one for the drive.
The manifold isn't hard to change if you know your way around tools and mechanical things, and if you know how to troubleshoot electrical problems and can read a wiring diagram you should have too much trouble with the tilt motor.
Click on the link below and download a free owners manual from the Volvo site. May help quite a bit with your new boat.

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marineengines/operators_manual/

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Ordering the manuals from the dealer is the best bet. As far as manifolds and risers go, you will basically have to choose between aftermarket and Volvo Penta. I can't tell you anything about the aftermarket ones (other than they are less expensive) as I replaced mine with VP parts as I needed the ports they have for my EGT thermocouples. I think Sierra and Osco make manifolds and risers that will fit just about anything. Someone here can tell you if there are any differences but I can't. Whichever way you go, get gaskets for each. I don't like the new Volvo Penta riser gaskets ( they're just aluminum plates with a coating on them and use no sealant) so I get the old style when I change mine and use Permatex Hylomar sealant on them. I don't know if this even applies to your setup though. You can use the link Don S gave you to find your nearest VP dealer.

PS. I climbed your mountain in 2004. It was fantastic. Here's a shot of me at ~12000ft as the sun came up (started climbing at 0130 that day)
1948906Rainier.JPG

kkuhia

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply Don S. I just did some research and I think I found the authorized Volvo dealer here (Coastal Marine). They aren't open today, but I will call them tomorrow and see if I can get the manuals from them. Also, thanks for the link to the owner's manual!

I know for sure that the tilt motor is bad as it was already off of the boat when I bought it and I took it to a guy who rebuilds them. He tried to rebuild it, but it still didn't work quite right so he told me he can order a new one for $150. He was the one that told me he thought a new tilt unit would cost $1000. Also, the wiring harness for that tilt motor is off as well and sitting in the boat, but I'm confident with a wiring diagram I can figure out how to put that back.

My tilt unit concern is with two things: 1) one of the bolt holes that the tilt motor bolts to is half broken off (not sure what to do about that) and 2) the mechanic that looked at the tilt unit when there was no tilt motor there, was worried that the rod going down from the hydraulic pump might be bent because it looked like someone had taken some things apart in there (this is what I'd like to find out somehow before I buy a new tilt motor as a whole new tilt unit comes with a new tilt motor). I also don't know how hard it is to pull out the old tilt unit and put in a new one.

kkuhia

Seaman Apprentice

bjcsc - Thanks for the advice on the manifold and riser parts. It seems one of the first things I have to do is get those parts (along with the service manuals). Spending less for me is always good as long as I know the quality is close enough to not cause more problems in the future.

Nice pic! You climbed Mt. Ranier! That is awesome! I've always wanted to climb it and I just never seem to make time to prepare for it and line up the guides and all that. One day I will definitely climb it as well, but right now I've got a boat to fix!

kkuhia

Seaman Apprentice

Alright, Coastal Marine didn't have the Volvo engine service manual in stock so they have to order it. Also, they don't even carry the Volvo exhaust manifold as it is so expensive ($700), they sell the Osco Exhaust manifold instead ($300). Does anyone know if the Osco or Sierra exhaust manifolds are good? I like the Volvo parts, but at that big of a price difference, I'm leaning aftermarket.

Also, the mechanic that checked my boat told me that the u-joints seemed to be making clattering noises. How can I check to see if they (u-joints and bellows) are OK or not?

Don S

If the bellows are over 2 or 3 years old, they need replaced. Especially if you will be in salt water.
The upper gear box needs to be removed to inspect the ujoint. Then if you see water or signs of water in the bellows, then the bellows is already bad and water has gotten in. Just feel the movement of the ujoints. They must be smooth, but even when smooth they could still be bad. If in doubt replace them. The boat is new to you.
If there was water in the bellows, let us know. There are other things that need to be checked.

jastacey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've used the HGE manifolds & risers ( made in china ) and I found that they fit very well ( everthing lined up) and I've been running this setup for about six months and have had no problems, I believe they make a manifold for your motor, the Osco & Barr manifolds are good choices also, I've used them when I had Mercusier powered boats in the past, Just remember, when you run in salt water, the exhaust manifolds& risers become a regular item that needs to be replaced every 4-5 years

epoxy

Cadet

hi my name is greg i have a 1988 20.7 barretta 4 cyclinder aq131d volvo penta with a275 volvo outdrive i put new 'points ,cap , rotar,plugs,wires, fuel pump,fuel filter , starter,ground wire on alt, over fill breather,new batterys ,lower unit oil,new zinics . new tank of 94 octane gasoline , new speed o pick up . i put the boat in the water started great ran great all gauges working took off.all was great plained off well , went around the small bay a few times then the boat died like someone tured the key off started to crank the motor over and a 15 or 10 foot shoot of water came shooting out of the carb i thought i was seeing things ,i then removed the engine cover completely. hit the key again and another burst of salt water shot out of the carb then the motor wouldn't do anything as this is antifreeze cooled and the engine temp gauge was at 120-130 degrees and not anti freeze its somthing with the exhust manifold . also the tilt works when it wants to if i bang or push or pull on the box with the relays and switch the lite will come on the dash for the tilt and the up wont work only the down play with the box more push it up or down it starts to work again but when i need it to work it fails me i need it to work all the time please help me i thought i did the pre season work but now i do not know anything help me everone please greg god bless thank you if you need more info.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don S

Welcome to iboats epoxy.

Best to start a new thread with your question, not a good idea to hijack some 3 year old post and post your question at the end. It will not be seen by many.

Please do not post your email address and phone number on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.