Getting hot, 1992 4.3 Volvo

vstol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I noticed i was running hot the other day in the water (about 190210-), brought the boat home, put on muffs still running hot, pulled thermostat housing and thermostate. Put housing on without thermostat boat ran cold, never got above 100105-. Checked thermostat in hot water, wide open when boiling might be opening at 160 rather than 140? Does not have excessive corrosion, just is brown in color. Ran boat on water with not thermostat boat stayed at about 110115- once warmed up, common sense tells me put new thermostate in, what do you guys think and is there any kind of anticorrosion- system that i could hook up to the flush kit? I run in either salt water or shallow brackish (?) water all the time and seem to be getting alot of silt-corrosion/ in the engine as evident from the inside of the thermostat housing, I flush the motor every time I come out of the water when i get home.

tommays

Admiral
Re: Getting hot, 1992 4.3 Volvo

i find the stat is pretty nasty about every 2 years in saltwater even with flushing

Tommays

astro4prez

Cadet

Get yourself a Salt Away dispenser that you can screw onto your muffs before you connect the hose. It's an "environmentally friendly" soap. Should help clear things up a bit.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

IF in doubt about the thermostat, change it, but don't run without one. The water will circulate real fast where the stat and the temp sender is and show a low reading, but it doesn't cool very well on the rest of the engine and you can actually be overheating areas.
Have you replaced the raw water pump impeller lately? How about the manifolds and risers?

vstol

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You know Don i never thought about the water circulating fast around then sensor and not the rest of the motor. I have changed the risers and the manifolds this past winter.

Thanks for the input, i get a new stat in there before i run it again.

vstol

Petty Officer 2nd Class

New Stat is in and boat holds steady at 140 on the muffs, assume I will get the same on the water, I'll post if i do not.

thanks for the help, any place on the web to get the salt-away i have only found one place?