volvo 130 hp i/o points problem

JS Machine 1

Cadet
I have the '73 Glastron v-179 with the 4 cyl 130 HP volvo i/o. I just bought it about a month ago and have taken it out several times with no trouble what so ever. (except for breaking the tilt system, but I fixed that.)

Today I took it out and when I put it in gear to accelerate it just choked and acted like it wasn't having any part of it. It will accelerate freely upwards through the rpm range in neutral, but, if you put it in gear, it will not get above 1200 rpm or so-and thats putting the gas to it very slowly. in other words I could not get above idle speed.
First thing I thought of was that something in the outdrive may be messed up. I checked the oil, everything looked fine. It did move a little faster in reverse.

I took it to the guy I bought it from and he said the boat was very hard on points. I am not very familiar with points type ignitions because I guess I'm from a later generation. I'm used to playing with GM HEI type ignitions. What causes a set of points to fail (besides uneven contact wit each other)? I mean are they just things that need to be changed regularly, along with the cap and rotor button?

Also, the hose that comes from the crankcase and attaches to the breather of the rear carb, what is its purpose? Would it be ok to route this hose back into the vaqlve cover? It keeps filling up my flame arrestor with oil. I mean its not excessive, but it does smoke because it has oil saturated in it. That can't be helping that carb breath any better either..

Thanks for the help, John

tommays

Admiral
Re: volvo 130 hp i/o points problem

Points condenser cap rotor and plugs are generaly a once a year in the spring thing the boat enviroment is hard on them

The hoses that connect to the flame arrestor are there to draw the fumes back into the motor for saftey reasons IF your getting a LOT of oil you have a problem

Tommays

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

I put in a Pertronix II module and never have to worry about points and dwell angle again.

JS Machine 1

Cadet

That would be great--th electronic ignition thing. Can you tell me more about it?

What sort of problems should I look for with this recirculation hose?

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

http://www.pertronix.com/ptx2005_cat/ptx05_marine.pdf

It's just a simple piece that replaces the points and condensor. The Pertronix II is the improved unit that won't fry if you forget to leave the ignition turned on.

You can see the unit frequently on ebay.

That hose is to burn off oil fumes from the crankcase. It's normal for it to get a bit dirty. Just clean the flame arrestor every so often with carb cleaner spray.