Oil type and oil filter to use for 4.3GL Volvo Penta

randyo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know this must have been answered 100 times already. I tried and tried using the search feature but the posts returned weren't relevant.

My questions:
1. What type of oil should I be using for a 1997 4.3GL Volvo Penta?
2. What oil filter should I use? The boat currently has a 18-7879 but go2marine.com says I should be using 18-7878. Do auto part stores carry these or do I need to go to a marine parts store?

My SELOC repair manual covers the amount of oil (4.5Qts) but not the type or filter to use. If it makes a difference, I live in San Diego where its warm all year long!

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Oil type and oil filter to use for 4.3GL Volvo Penta

Hello. You have a similar engine to me. The Volvo Service Manual for 1997 "LK" Models ( which are both of ours) specifies SAE 30W oils that meet General Motors Standard GM-6094-M for operation above 32' F. It also says the use of multi-viscosity oils (such as 10W-30) is not recommended. I recognize the numbers you posted as Sierra numbers, but do not know the cross reference. The Volvo Penta number for your oil filter is 841750. The Fram# is TG3980. I don't believe one to be better than the other (auto vs. marine). I have cut both apart and there were no differences I could see. I would highly suggest you order at least the engine manual, VP P/N 7797361-8. Good luck.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I don't have my Sierra catalog handy, but I'm betting one of those numbers is for the short version of the original long filter. I'd go with the long one myself. MerCruiser uses the GM 4.3 blocks too and their oil is 25W-40. That's what we use at the shop.

randyo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys!

I'll go to the local autoshop today and pick up regular SAE30W oil and the Fram oil filter mentioned above. Seems like neither need to be specifically for "boating".

Should the oil be synthetic or does it not matter?