Need help with a AQ170B engine

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer
I have the head at the machine shop and they said it needs new guides and valves. Can anyone tell me where I can get these?
I am looking everywhere but no luck.
Thank's

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you let your machineshop do their job and source the valves and guides. if they cant do this, find a new machine shop

its a volvo B30 motor

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks,this machine shop is well known for there work. If it can be done they can do it. I was just trying to help them with information. They said they were having a hard time with finding these parts. any information on this motor would be very grateful. You said it was a B30 engine, should I use this for looking up parts?
The reason I ask is there are AQ170 A,B, & C , I believe one has a 42mm valve head Dia. and one has 44 mm Dia. can you tell me where I can get parts for the AQ170B.
Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the motor is a volvo B30 car engine that has a marine intake, exhaust and water pump along with marine electrics bolted on it by volvo-penta to then call it an AQ170. the A, B, and C correspond to year of production. A being the first year, B the second, so on.

your machine shop should be able to look everything up as a volvo B30 motor (found in the 240 cars) and they should be able to measure the valves. most likely the machine shop gets the valves from Manley or Ferrea, however they could use Erson. either way, its their job to use their vendors

again, if they cant do it, find a different machine shop.

if you were my customer trying to help me do my job, I would charge you more.

FYI, a complete cylinder head for a B30 is only $250 on ebay or $100 on car-part.com

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Find an auto shop that specializes in Volvo autos and ask them where they send their older heads. FYI, most B30 heads you find on eBay are fuel injection heads and you will have to plug the fuel injection ports which is a PITA.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The version of Volvo this was used in was a 164. You can look on Rockauto to find the valve guides. I don't see valves ...yet.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You can go to specialty Volvo parts places on the web and find valves.

Here is one example:

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/7996...hoC2CYQAvD_BwE

The B20 engine which is the 4 cylinder version should use the exact same valves when you start looking.

The B20 was used in the 142, 144 series and only in the 240 series in 1975. The 240 series never had the inline 6 engine.

I used to be a Volvo car guy...owned many of them.

Last edited: