Flywheel removal

kidnmolly

Cadet
I have a 2006 sea swirl with a 3L with a sx Volvo drive , end of year boat was running rough and after stopping at a friends when I went to leave was like motor locked up but after pulling out starter realized the starter drive busted off a few teeth off the flywheel and was pinning the motor , now that it?s winter here would like to fix this before spring , what is involved with pulling the motor out to replace this flywheel so I can deal with the original problem which was motor not idle properly and having hard time starting , thx for any help you guys can offer, merry Xmas to all.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
most likely the running rough was the motor ingesting water

did you already replace the starter?

pull your plugs and turn the motor over. if you have water in the cylinder, you may have other issues.

to pull the motor, remove the drive, disconnect fuel, battery cables, unplug harness, remove hose clamps from exhaust and then pull the motor.

however the flywheel most likely did not have anything to do with your original problem. your flywheel ring gear is about $15 at napa

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Volvo penta is probably the easiest to pull. Making enough room is something else. I have twin 5.7L in a Larson and getting seats and enough deck out of the way takes longer than the actually wrenching on the out drive and motor. I suggest getting a sealoc manual for you year it's laid out pretty simple in there. I would not hesitate to try it it's pretty simple

Bondo

Staff member
what is involved with pulling the motor out to replace this flywheel so I can deal with the original problem

Ayuh,...Ya don't need a new flywheel, ya just need a new Ring Gear, probably the 153 tooth 1,....

Ya knock the old 1 off the flywheel with a drift,...
Lightly sand, 'n clean the flywheel matin' surfaces, 'n toss the new ring gear in yer ole lady's oven, set at 500* for a 1/2 hour,....
Then pull the ring gear outa the oven, drop it onto the flywheel, 'n let it cool,....
Then put everything back together,....

kidnmolly

Cadet
Thanks for all the advise , I have Jump seats in my boat so access is excellent , starter is on and I just change the plugs have no water in motor think might be a carb issue as boat runs great just starting and idling is the issue , I will get a manual to assist me in pulling drive off and motor out , good to hear can just change the ring gear.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
get the factory manual. Seloc or Haynes or Chilton manuals are not worth the paper they were printed on.

see post #2. ring gear is about $15 at napa

Kidster

Recruit
Finally getting around to this project as wether here has been terribly cold , I got a Volvo manual to pull drive off , does anybody know the weight of this motor and the part number for the ring gear , hoping not to pull motor completely out hoping I can move forward enough to get flywheel off thx for all the advise

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I'm guessin' the dressed motor runs 'bout 800 lbs,.,...

Donno the part number, but there's only 2 choices from yer local Napa, the 153 tooth, 'n the 168 tooth,.....
Any respectable parts guy oughta be able to find it for ya, it's 1 of the 2 standard Chevy ring gears,....

Bondo

Staff member
I’m surprised that a 4 come 3 L motor would weigh that much

Ayuh,.... Ya don't say anywhere in this thread just what yer motor is,.....

I figured maybe it was 1 of the most popular motors on the planet, the SBC,....

A 3.0l, fully dressed is 'bout 500 lbs,....
Maybe abit less,....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Finally getting around to this project as wether here has been terribly cold , I got a Volvo manual to pull drive off , does anybody know the weight of this motor and the part number for the ring gear , hoping not to pull motor completely out hoping I can move forward enough to get flywheel off thx for all the advise

Have you hijacked kidnmolly's thread? :confused:

Kidster

Recruit
Sorry I never mention motor , kidnmolly is also my account I forgot what my sign in was so started another account my bad , hoping I can move motor forward to remove this flywheel Instead of pulling motor completely out will be doing this outside have wakeboard tower won’t fit in garage , thx for help this site has always helped me

Bondo

Staff member
hoping I can move motor forward to remove this flywheel Instead of pulling motor completely out will be doing this outside have wakeboard tower won’t fit in garage

Ayuh,...... I shoulda mentioned this yesterday, but,....

Ya gotta pull the drive, Before ya pull the motor,....
'n ya Gotta realign the motor to the gimbel bearin', Before ya put the drive back on,.....