aluminum oil pan

kingsfisherman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1998 26' Seaswirl Sport Cabin
5.7L GSi Volvo Penta DPS-M Duo Prop

Hello All,

Considering replacing my painted steel oil pan with an aluminum oil pan.
I've replaced the oil pan twice due to corrosion in 11 yrs. and figured I might get more time out of an aluminum pan.
Its been couple of years since I replaced it and already see the paints peeling.

thoughts or experiences?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You would get more time with epoxy paint. Strip to bare metal (aluminum or steel), zinc dichromate primer and a 2-part paint

alldodge

Staff member
I've replaced the oil pan twice due to corrosion in 11 yrs. and figured I might get more time out of an aluminum pan.
Its been couple of years since I replaced it and already see the paints peeling.

I would say you need to have a good paint job no matter which way your go. While aluminum will not rust, mounting it so Iron in a slat environment is not great either.

What I think you need more then anything else is a better paint job. I would take your steel pan, strip the paint, use some good wash primer, then 2 part epoxy paint.

If you go aluminum, do similar painting as Scott mentioned and also get the mounting surfaces

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
how would that hold up to the heat the pan experiences?

A good paint job will work out better than what you have had so-far

When everything is all painted, coat the motor with fluid film or boeshield as another level of corrosion protection

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I don't know if the quality of the steel used or the paint process has changed, but all I have done is spray the OE pan (1988, 30 years old now) every 2-3 years with Boeshield or Corrosion X, whatever I had on hand at the time. And it still looks good. Double check to make sure that water is not leaking from a hose; on OMCs and Volvos, the raw water intake hose comes up from the transom along the starboard side of the block. Also check the raw water pump on the Volvos they can leak and spray water around the engine compartment.