280 stern leg spindle bearings need replacing

Seabound280

Recruit
I have an aqad40b set up in my boat. Ive just put it back in the water after doing all the seals on the 280 leg. But there is a bad vibration when turning. Im pretty certain its the spindle bearings...ie. The bearings on the short driveshaft located in the bell housing. What I need to know is.... Can I replace the bearings, or at least replace the rear one just by accessing it from the rear of the boat by removing the upper unit of the sternleg? . I cant remove the engine until next year but would like to make it as good as I can to use this season and as the other end of the spindle is located in the flywheel I think replacing the rear bearing only will suffice. I am assuming the bearing is normally a slide fit on the shaft rather than a press or interference fit, as it has circlips holding it in place. I expect it to be difficult to remove but I do have the skills and resources. Has anyone done this? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

that would be the PDS bearings. (Primary Drive Shaft). spindles are on the trailer and front of your truck.

there are two types of PDS housings, a single bearing style and a double bearing style. you can remove the single bearing style from the aft, however the double bearing style requires the drive off, motor out. since you reference rear bearing, I assume you have a two bearing PDS.

the bearings are a light press with circlips. it will require driving the shaft out forward, then driving the rear bearing out rearward.

here is a writeup replacing the PDS bearings on my 290 http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...s-engines-outdrives/10343318-pds-shaft-issues

if you continue to run it may be ok, it may tear itself apart. also you are inspecting your u-joints annually, correct? you could have bad u-joints.