Volvo Penta Steering Auctuator Re-builders?

wu367

Recruit
Hello All,

I have a been a member for a while and have gained so much knowledge from this forum....Thank you.

I have a 2004 Volvo Penta Duo-prop and the power steering actuator is leaking from the seal that is directly below the power steering lines.

I have verified that the lines are not leaking.

I have seen a few threads where people have re-built these, but It seems like a bit more than I have time to tackle.

Does anyone know of a re-building service for these instead of just replacing the part?

Thoughts??? Ideas???

Thank you in advance.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Even though some Diy'ers rebuild their p/s units, the part is listed as Non-serviceable,....

So, look for a replacement unit,....

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
There is an `07 steering ram on ebay for $300 right now, if you cannot find an another solution. Maybe it would fit.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
wu367, I rebuilt mine and it was a good bit of work. I just couldn't bring myself to pay the high price for a brand new, non-rebuildable unit. They are rebuildable. I haven't heard of any service that rebuilds the actuators. Just us DIYers tackling our own leaking steering actuators.

If you do decide to do the work yourself, I'm sure you've already seen the numerous threads on rebuilding the actuators. I'm pretty sure that I posted one as well. Lots of luck to you and Happy Thanksgiving!

wu367

Recruit
Thank you all for the advice.

Looking on Ebay, I did find the one I need for $600 new. I will most likely go this route...although it is more than I wanted to spend.

I was hoping to find someone who could rebuild these similar to what Man Cave Mechanic has been doing with the Volvo Penta fuel pumps.

Again, thank you all for your insight and have a great holiday

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
take it to your local hydraulic repair shop. worst case, they give up, best case, for about a hunnert you may get it re-sealed

wu367

Recruit
Good idea.......I will give that a try.....nothing to loose....Thank you:joyous:

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The rate that so many of these actuators are going bad makes me think that they have a "shelf life". There have been at least 6-7 over the last half year it seems.
You might try looking up some pneumatic repair shops in your area - they might be willing to rebuild it for you for a fraction of the cost.

wu367

Recruit
Thank you Augoose......I have started my search for a local hydraulic/pneumatic repair shops.

If I do end up getting someone to successfully re-build it, I will let you all know.

Thank you again

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
many times there is no parts breakdown because the OEM buys the unit complete. for example, there is no parts breakdown for VW calipers for the MK3 chassis. they get the units complete from Audi. so from VW its a replace whole assembly deal.