Aq270 Where are the tabs on the transom shield for alignment

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
I pulled the engine on my AQ150 / 270 to replace the PDS bearing and seals. Now I have the engine back in, and don't see any tabs on the transom shield to align my engine.

I imagine they would be at the 12, 3, and 9 o'clock positions, but I don't see anything there. I attached a pic that shows the 12 & 9 positions.

Can anybody shed some light on this for me? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• photo281084.jpg
    photo281084.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 0

kenny nunez

Captain
?Clocking? the engine to the transom shield is not important as the engine is canted already. Since your engine uses a front mount and if you are concerned on the vertical alinment use the diameter of a pencil eraser between the conical ring that holds he engine to the transom and the transom shield. I had the genuine Volvo alinment tool when I had my shop years ago. The eraser diameter will get you close enough.

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
“Clocking” the engine to the transom shield is not important as the engine is canted already. Since your engine uses a front mount and if you are concerned on the vertical alinment use the diameter of a pencil eraser between the conical ring that holds he engine to the transom and the transom shield. I had the genuine Volvo alinment tool when I had my shop years ago. The eraser diameter will get you close enough.

How do I adjust the alignment? Do I have to pick it up and move it?
It also looks like it might be listing starboard slightly. How would I rotate it? Do I need to loosen the clamp ring first?
Is there a certain torque I need to tighten the clamp ring?

kenny nunez

Captain
If you need to rotate the engine loosen the clamp ring then try to have carburetors in the vertical position to maintain proper float operation. Then with the clamp ring tight set the clearance I posted before by raising or lowering the engine mounts. The bolts are only grade 5 that go through the clamp ring so tighten them to around 20lbs and lock them with the stainless tabs. If there are no tabs get some Loctite to use on the threads.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the great thing about the AQ drives is that "alignment" is not as critical as it is with the newer drives or mercruiser drives. I recall the tolerance is +/- 1.5mm. Follow Kenny's advise and you will be back on the water in no time

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you need to rotate the engine loosen the clamp ring then try to have carburetors in the vertical position to maintain proper float operation. Then with the clamp ring tight set the clearance I posted before by raising or lowering the engine mounts. The bolts are only grade 5 that go through the clamp ring so tighten them to around 20lbs and lock them with the stainless tabs. If there are no tabs get some Loctite to use on the threads.

Thanks Kenny. Sadly I got busy this weekend, and probably won't get back to it until after Turkey day, but great advice. I do have the locking tabs, so luckily no need for the loctite.

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm closing out some projects to let everybody who has helped me in the past know how things have gone. I since got everything running, and have had a fairly successful boating summer. I had to pull the engine again to change the oil pan gasket, but thanks to the advice I got here, reinstalling was a breeze. Thanks again everybody.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
did you notice a small donut shaped rubber plug on the stern drive when the engine was out? My aq31 has this depression on the bell housing for alignment, perhaps the aq150 did not have this feature on acount of front motor mounts

Attachments

• photo298251.jpg
    photo298251.jpg
    956.1 KB · Views: 1

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had parts of my engine blasted for repainting. The loop is at the up position, and the depression on mine is on the bottom. I didn't notice a rubber plug, but I will have to look if I take it out again. Thanks for the pic.

Attachments

• photo298342.jpg
    photo298342.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 0