Electrical or ignition problem... I think? 430B

jfliege

Cadet
I just received this boat from my father he is the only other owner. It is my first boat that I have owned, but it has a hickup as would be expected in a 1993 engine. I have a wellcrft excel 20sx with a 430B engine and of coarse an SX outdrive.

When under load only the engine stutters around 2000rpm or just as its getting on plain. Also when the trim is used at lower rpm when under load the engine stutters. I am trying to figure where to start I think it is ignition based. I could probably fix it without posting on the forum, but I am trying to avoid throwing parts at it until one sticks.

I keep thinking it is electrical because once I got on plane barely coaxing it over it ran to about 2700rpm.

I think coil alternator or battery?

let me know what y'all think. thanks for any help you offer.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I'm thinkin' ya got 2 issues goin' on,....

The electrical issue is probably Bad ground, when the motor stutters, when usin' the trim,...
Remove, 'n clean to shiny metal Clean, all the grounds startin' at the battery,....
Both ends of All the ground wires, 'n ground straps,....

2nd issue is probably crud in the fuel, if ya only get 2700 rpms, as it oughta see 4800 rpms or so,....
Pull the fuel filter, 'n dump it's contents into a clear container, 'n see if there's anything but clean fresh gasoline in it,...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its almost never the coil

bad connections where the trim runs to the B terminal on the starter

crud in the fuel system like Bondo indicated, most likely needing a carb rebuild

jfliege

Cadet
Thanks for all the advice.

I was hoping it was something I was more familiar with like an alternator or battery. When I was given the boat on labor day my dad told me the there had been a blockage from debris in the gas tank causing suction, which eventually caused a stall.

The part that makes me look away from the fuel system is that the stutter from acceleration under load is the same as when I hit the trim. The fuel system definitely needs a going over either way.

The trim system is one of the systems I am intimidated by. Just because I haven't dealt with one before.

I hope to get some wrench time next weekend, if I find anyhting I will let y'all know.

thanks again

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Sure sounds like a either a battery/alternator problem or bad earth somewhere. Had similar symptoms with my old 205a DP (same engine)

jfliege

Cadet
UPDATE:
So I replaced the battery and took the boat out on texoma over spring break. The battery solved the trim issue under power and the running issue is better but I still have to baby it (slowly ramp up the engine) out of the hole, and it won't go over 3700rpm on plane without the stumble I got it a little over that one time but she runs reliably and sat on plane at 30 mph for 45 mins without issue.