Need help - Impossible Volvo Penta engine identification

Falconman

Recruit
I have a 2001 Glastron SX175 with a 3.0L 4 cylinder engine in it. I have exhausted every avenue I can think of to ID this engine in order to buy valve and valve spring replacements for it. There are absolutely no Volvo Penta ID tags anywhere on the engine, but all of the external components have Volvo Part #'s stamped on them. The block has a casting number on it along with a block serial number. The head has a casting number stamped on it. I am at my whits end on this one and any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Head Casting #: GM 14096620-070
Block Casting#: GM 14097080
Block Serial#: 2M03143RQL4

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...1wREwwWVhjUU1Z
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...JlZ1pGRHNEdkF3
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...JVRm5GWG1NWHIw

Last edited:

jaggededge

Cadet
I googled "GM 14097080" and got several solid hits. Might give you a starting place.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... You've got as GM 3.0l,.... same motor used by all the marine motor builders since the '60s,....

'bout any parts house, or machine shop oughta be able to get ya any parts ya want, after all, it's a Chevy,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

its a GM industrial motor

your machine shop doing the head repair will be able to get you valves and springs without any fuss

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Just buy a rebuilt head for it. Easier then just replacing parts on the head

Falconman

Recruit
welcome aboard.

its a GM industrial motor

your machine shop doing the head repair will be able to get you valves and springs without any fuss

I'm doing the repairs on the head and it's just a simple 2 valve replacement job. I just want to get the parts if possible, but like stated earlier, I cannot figure out what head I have in order to get the parts. I guess I could retry this question in another way. Do all 3.0L GM heads of similar years use the same parts, are they interchangeable?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
kind-off

there were about 5 different heads for the 3.0 and about 4 heads for the 2.5

however most machine shops will do the work for about $100..... and they pressure test before, fly cut, hot-tank and guarantee their work.

Falconman

Recruit
kind-off

there were about 5 different heads for the 3.0 and about 4 heads for the 2.5

however most machine shops will do the work for about $100..... and they pressure test before, fly cut, hot-tank and guarantee their work.

Ok, well thanks for the reply. It is looking like what I want to do is going to be a trial by parts. I will take my best educated guess on which head I have and buy parts and hope they fit. Thanks again.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
If the engine hasn?t been replaced...and it?s in VP colours...it?s likely the same as any other late 90?s and early 2000?s standard VP and Mercruiser GM 3.0. One of the most common boat engines in the world. Thanks ncidentky, some have an id plate down near the starter motor and even on the air filter occasionally. Down by starter and flywheel cover is your best bet though.

Toypirate

Seaman Apprentice
If you contact volvo penta with your Hull ID # they will tell you what engine/ transom/ drive package came in that boat, including serial/part/and model numbers, try your local marine parts store with volvo certification or find one online and call them.