Sx-m unjoint bellow. Need.

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wanna Change my u joint bellow this winter. Can any one give me the correct part # for the oem bellow.so I can order from iboats. Thx. And any good links to follow along on the How to change. Thank you fellas!!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The OEM service manual is all you really need. You do want to take of the pivot housing by removing the two swivel blts. Some people on here say to do it without doing that. It's a way easier when you take off the pivot housing.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Because when you take off the pivot housing, you can more easily see and feel when the rib on the sealing surface of the bellows pops into the groove in the flange on the gimble housing.

​There are also 2 fiber washers that fit between the pivot housing and the part it bolts to (gimble assembly) that sometimes will get worn over time, make sure to get those back in place when replacing the swivel bolts. I used some OMC triple guard grease on them to keep them from moving around when re-fitting the pivot housing.

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
I see a lot of after market bellows. Are they good enough as oem. Or stay with oem. Thx

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
If you do take the swivel bolts off, the bolts are kind of a star drive. But a 1/2" allen socket works. They can be a bugger to get off. I had to heat them with a propane torch. I leave the bucket on, and bungee it up as far as I can. The last OEM Volvo bellows I used, had hard plastic in the corrugated section. Never seen that before.
for me the hardest part is putting the ground cables back where they belong. Also I used a flexible screw driver with an extension for the clamps. Not sure which method is best . If you can't get the bolts off, try the bungee. Good luck Dave-R

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Also use some OMC gasket sealer or Merc perfect seal on the threads of the swivel bolts they will come out easily next time. Mine came out after many years of salt water moorage (like 10).

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I agree 100% with Bruce, OEM for bellows (and impellers). The older style OMC Cobra/Volvo SX all rubber bellows could last as long as 10 years if the drive was stored down. I took one off at 11 years of use and there were just some small cracks starting and the rubber was getting stiff. And this boat was on a mooring all season, had a few barnacles on the bellows, etc. Sierra is OK for certain things but for critical parts always go OEM.

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok. Thank you all. Very help full tips. Sounds like oem it is. I always used the oem impellers. Just wasn?t sure about the bellows. I kind of afraid to mess with that pivot housing due to the remarks of it being a ?booger ? possibly to get the bolts off. I don?t have oem service manual. Just the other one forgot the name of it ? if I can find some good utube vids on the removal of the pivot house, then I will attempt it. But I?m afraid to do any mechanical work with out vids or step by step pics. I hate breaking things, while on the path of preventive maintenance.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have never had an issue getting the pivot bolts out. AS long as you have the correct tool it is not an issue. People that decide not to do it usually don't have the correct tool.