Is my block clean enough for a new head gasket?

I scrapped for an hour with a razor blade. Does it look clean enough? If not, what should I use?

Also, what should I use as a straight edge to make sure the block is not warped?

Attachments

• photo279323.JPG
    photo279323.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo279324.JPG
    photo279324.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 0

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I use the same 3 m discs, just don't get to aggressive, as they can remove metal a touch also.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I'd get a mechanic's straight edge if you can and use feeler gauges. If you have a high quality level it may work. To test the level, place it carefully against a large window pane and see if a .001 feeler gauge can fit under it anywhere. It should not. Clean the edge of the level and glass first.
The block should have less than .003" variation in flatness. Do a search on youtube, there are a lot of vids on this. And as far as removing the last of that gasket material that might still be there, a machinist I know advised using a flat sanding block with 600 paper to do that instead of rotary tools. Some use a piece of flat glass with the paper on it. That way you really cannot make any low spots on the block, and if there are low spots already it will make them show up. Keep in mind to put oil soaked paper towels in the cyls that are open and you will have to clean them out after doing that.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you're having the head done over at a machine shop, ask the machinist about the block, they can be very helpful and see this stuff all the time.