Trim Pump Not Working

I have a 1987 Bayliner, engine is the AQ131, everything works fine, except the trim motor. I used to work and all of a sudden doesn't. New 600 CCA battery about a month ago, and is stored in my heated garage.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
it's a Volvo Penta 2.3 litre inboard inline 4, the AQ131 engine. I have replaced all wiring from the dash to the motor, installed and tested the bilge pump, blower, navigation lights and horn. The trim motor trims the lower unit down just fine, but when I try to trim it upward, just hear what sounds like a grinding noise. any help would be much appreciated. Both trim relays are new and I have power at the red terminal (I believe this is the "87" terminal) on the relay as tested with a simple light tester probe.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks. Just wondering what the drive was though.
If I assume it's a 280/290, the trim pump and motor are usually one unit on those with the reservoir being internal filled by a steel flat screw head bolt. Terrible design and famous for the ball valves passing. Often recognised by the drive slowly creeping down after time.
Assuming all else is well (rams and full of oil and not needing bled), the ball valves will likely be passing and not holding pressure, making the pumped oil return to tank. This may your problem.
Most with this problem upgrade to the more modern trim pump with the external resovoir

it's the AQ131, but not sure of the trim motor specs. Thanks a ton for the info, will have to investigate that. Once tilted up, the drive does hold its position just fine. It trims in the down position good too, just doesn't seem to move up at all when toggling the dash switch to "up". Any other ideas would be much appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
once you identify the drive, we can point you toward the proper manual that will have schematics, etc.