One more question

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer
I am helping my Bro, He has a AQ170B engine that has lack of power. We did a compression check and found #5 cyl at30# . I squirted some gear oil in the cyl and checked it again , still 30#, I am thinking a valve burnt or broken valve spring, Any advice
Thank you

alldodge

Staff member
I am helping my Bro, He has a AQ170B engine that has lack of power. We did a compression check and found #5 cyl at30# . I squirted some gear oil in the cyl and checked it again , still 30#, I am thinking a valve burnt or broken valve spring, Any advice
Thank you

Might be that or even blown head gasket. Remove the head and find out

Bondo

Staff member
I squirted some gear oil in the cyl and checked it again , still 30#, I am thinking a valve burnt or broken valve spring, Any advice

Ayuh,.... My compression tester has the same air fittin' where ya snap on the gauge, as I use in my shop,....

In a case like yer's, I snap my air hose onto the compression tester hose, 'n turn on the air,....
If it's an intake valve, you'll hear the air excapin' through the carb,...
An exhaust valve, you'll hear it in the exhaust,....
With bad rings, or holed piston, you'll hear it through the oil fill cap, or crank case vents,....

That cylinder has to be Tdc, compression stroke, 'n ya wanta hold the motor from turnin' while ya do this test,....