290 reverse lockout issue

rscottdds

Cadet
When I shift into reverse under power the outdrive tilts up. On the trailer I can't lift the outdrive very far (only a few inches) in forward,neutral or reverse before the retaining pawl (I think that's what it's called) moves up and contacts a rod and stops me from lifting any further. I can reach back and push the retaining pawl down and then I can lift the outdrive all the way up. No difference at all between them. All the springs and pins etc seem to be there and working. The locking yoke moves like in the video below. What is the most likely cause of the reverse lockout not working properly? Thanks for any help.
-Robert

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a few things....

adjust your shift mechanism. if you are slightly out of adjustment the drive can lift
the catch hooks wear after a while and need to be replaced
if you have ever hit anything with the drive, the latch can be damaged

rscottdds

Cadet
Thanks for your help. I haven't hit anything but am the second owner so who knows. It has been working since I bought the boat last year. If I knew what to look for and how things are supposed to work I might be able to troubleshoot and fix it. I'm not used to VP's. I had mercruisers before this. Are the catch hooks supposed to move up a bit when the engine starts to lift? The way mine is now the catch hooks don't seat all the way until I start to manually lift the engine. It lifts a few inches then catches as the hooks move up. When it catches I cant lift the engine anymore. As I said previously it acts like this in every position (fw,neutral and reverse). I can reach back and release the hooks by hand (against spring pressure) and the engine will lift all the way. Is this how its supposed to act?
-Robert

rscottdds

Cadet
If the lock brace (in the vid above) is doing its job correctly would I still be able to reach back and release the hooks by hand (against spring pressure) and lift the engine all the way? I have been trying to trouble shoot it on the trailer but am not sure how its supposed to act. I'd like to figure it out before dumping it in the water only to find out I still don't have reverse.
-Robert

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
pull the shift cover
there is a plunger (l-shapped rod with a wheel on the end) that un-latches the catch only in one direction (dont currently remember and my drive is apart) If memory serves, the plunger lifts the catches only in forward

if the catch arms are not coming all the way down in reverse a few things:
  • your sheet metal part of the latch is bent (comes from hitting stuff)
  • the latch mechanism is gummed up or frozen
  • your shift cable needs adjustment (or replacement and adjustment) you adjust it here:

fetch

if the adjustment has been out for some time, the little catch latches get worn and need to be replaced (or welded up and ground back to shape)

if you google 290 reverse latch adjustment there is lots of discussions on it

kenny nunez

Captain
Be sure that the lift push rod is not contacting the rod that releases the lock to release the latch for lifting the drive.

rscottdds

Cadet
Thanks for all the responses. Here is a vid of what is happening in all throttle positions on the trailer. Is this how it's supposed to work?
-Robert
Edit. Click on the "untitled on Vimeo" link not the one below it.

rscottdds

Cadet
I tried adjusting the cable but it didn't change a thing, at least not on the trailer. If you look in the video in the post right above you can see an upside down cross like piece of metal. It looks bent but it's pretty flimsy so I can't imagine it being a problem. Any other thoughts? I'll be bringing the boat to my mechanic at the end of the year for other issues but would like to get this figured out beforehand. Thanks for any help.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Does it lift in reverse if you turn the leg hard over to one side and engage reverse ?
These engaging hook mechanisms wear and are well known for it.
A cheap fix to get you to the end of the season is to lightly cable tie the mechanism down....not too well, so the leg will still lift should you hit anything. Only a short term fix thoigh.

rscottdds

Cadet
Thanks for the response. I can't make it lift on the trailer in forward or reverse unless I release manually like in the post 7 vid. I'll try the hard over thing next time out on the water and/or zip tie it. Is the engaging hook supposed to act like it does in the vid? When I lift the drive by hand on the trailer it will start to come up then the engaging hook comes up to latch and I can't lift anymore.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks for the response. I can't make it lift on the trailer in forward or reverse unless I release manually like in the post 7 vid. I'll try the hard over thing next time out on the water and/or zip tie it. Is the engaging hook supposed to act like it does in the vid? When I lift the drive by hand on the trailer it will start to come up then the engaging hook comes up to latch and I can't lift anymore.

On the trailer....engage reverse gear and turn the leg hard over to one or both sides and try to lift it manually. It will most likely lock (if it's just starting to wear)
Put the drive straight and you will probably find it will lift, with a bit of persuasion.
I'll have a look at the video if I can on this phone.
Likely you need a new locking mechanism.

rscottdds

Cadet
I cant lift it in reverse on the trailer but then again I cant lift in in forward either. The catches move up and prevent it from lifting any farther when I lift the outdrive a few inches (look at video in post 7 if you can and it will show you what I mean)
Thanks for any help,
-Robert

rscottdds

Cadet
On the trailer....engage reverse gear and turn the leg hard over to one or both sides and try to lift it manually. It will most likely lock (if it's just starting to wear)
Put the drive straight and you will probably find it will lift, with a bit of persuasion.
I'll have a look at the video if I can on this phone.
Likely you need a new locking mechanism.

By turning the wheel hard to either port or starboard it didn't kick up in reverse. Does that sound like I need new latches? If so are they fairly easy to replace? Thanks for any help
-Robert

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Yeah the mechanism is worn then. From memory the leg needs to come off and just replace it.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Or cable tie it tightly enough to stop it lifting in reverse but not to secure that it will still lift should you hit anything at speed. Not a long term recommended fix, but will do the job for a while.