Oil running out of exhaust

kcsguide

Seaman Apprentice
I recently acquired a 1976 Fiberform Baja 240 kcs. The sterndrive is a Volvo Penta AQ 240A/280. The boat had sat in an outside storage lot for the last 15 years. No idea if it was winterized in any way back then so I am just starting to look things over. I installed a new battery to see what I am up against and as I lowered the outdrive, quite a bit of oil poured out of the exhaust. maybe a fourth of a pint. Any ideas where it might have come from.

Just getting started

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
back then I believe that the drive even had engine oil in it.

pull the drive, pressure test it.
I would also pressure test the cooling system on the engine

also, any boat that sat outside neglected for 15 years is going to have rot somewhere. a 42 year old boat will guaranteed to have rot somewhere.

kcsguide

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll do that and yes, most of the exterior wood is shot. Fortunately, I got it for next to nothing. Just needed a project.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
remember, the boat structure is wood with fiberglass around it. this includes the transom ,stringer, bulkheads and floor..... most likely you will have to gut the hull down to the outer skin and rebuild.

free boats or nearly free boats are the most expensive in the world as they cost the most to bring back to safe and working condition

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Is it solid oil or slight diluted ? It may be that the previous owner had ran 2 stroke through her before storage or oiled the crap out of everything.

kenny nunez

Captain
With the drive down remove the dip stick from the top of the drive to see if the oil came from the drive. Hopefully it did not. There is only a few ?O? rings which seal the upper & lower gear housings to the mid section. Get a genuine Volvo service manual and you will see how easy it is to service.

kcsguide

Seaman Apprentice
With the drive down I checked and the dipstick is dry. No oil

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Is it gear oil or engine oil. Gear oil is easily identified. Horrible stuff and stinks rancid

kenny nunez

Captain
Clean engine oil is what you will find in an AQ Volvo, Like I previously posted get a Volvo manual and genuine Volvo seals and ?O? rings, they are nit cheap but you get quality. 30# oil is what Volvo always used in the AQ drives.

kcsguide

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry it took so long for me to respond but just to be clear, instead of lower unit lubricant, I should use SAE 30 weight oil?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Sorry it took so long for me to respond but just to be clear, instead of lower unit lubricant, I should use SAE 30 weight oil?
Yes.

Just so you know 30 SAE viscosity engine oil is around the same viscosity as 85W SAE gear oil.