Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Winterization

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterization

Winterizing a Volvo Penta with the Camco (65501) Do-It-Yourself Winterization Kit

[COLOR=#6A6A6A !important]Today, 04:26 PM[/COLOR]

So if anyone has used the Camco do it yourself kit, in the manual, it states to use an adapter (65493) for Front Engine Mounted Raw Water Pumps, instead of using a motor flusher like most engines. Where do you place this adapter on the drive, the engine or where? I have watched many videos on how to winterize this type of engine but I mainly see people emptying out water from four different draining holes and three different hoses. Instead of removing all the water in the engine block I just want to run anti-freeze through it but I don't know where to connect the adapter if someone has some information that would be helpful.

What size and type of motor do you have ? Also you must drain all the water out prior to running antifreeze. That's why you remove the drain plugs and hose first.
    2004 Caravelle 187

Comment

It is best to drain all water first from engine and manifolds and the raw water pump. When draining be sure to poke wire or allen wrench or something up in the holes to be sure scale is not blocking the drains, a LOT of water should come out. If you think you need to, add antifreeze for corrosion after draining by removing thermostat and such, but don't run the engine, just pour in after putting the drain plugs back in.
      _

Comment

Don't use that kit period. There is no advantage to doing it that way because you still have to either drain the block first, or take out the thermostat. Just drain manually, poke the holes, disconnect the big hose at the front of the engine (circulating pump) and raw water intake hose going to the impeller (point that one down to drain) and remove plugs or caps on manifolds and poke holes to drain. I then put some gasket sealer on the metal plug threads, re-install the plugs, reconnect the bottom end of big hose, and disconnect the top end at thermo housing. Fill it with -100 marine af till it comes out neck of thermo housing. Engine full, reconnect hose at thermo housing. Then disconnect feed hoses for manifolds at thermo housing. Fill with same AF till it runs out exhaust. Re-connect hoses. Last fill raw water intake hose with same af till it runs out water intakes on drive. For impeller housing, disconnect feed hose at thermo housing and fill with same AF.

​Those camco kits can result in a cracked block or burned impeller if you don't get the AF flowing well and do not get the engine hot enough. You don't want to bet your engine on the chance that the thermostat may not open all the way on a cool day idling on the water hose....
        1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
        4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
        07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

throw the camco kit away now or throw your boat motor away in the spring.

drain coolant from plugs, prob plug holes like everyone said

fill as Lou described if you want to put antifreeze in your block or simply leave it as air. air wont freeze until everything else on the planet freezes
          1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
          1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
          2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
          1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

When done right the mix of gases needed for maximum freezeproofing, see recipe below*, should flow in naturally as it drains.

* 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, 1% argon/carbon dioxide/other inert gases
            (Air )
            _

Comment

Yep, I recommend doing it as has been stated. I also like removing my impeller from the pump housing and storing it out for the winter, helps make it last longer and I also un tension my serp belt, keeps it from stretching.
              Summer Fling-II
              2008 Chaparral Sunesta 264
              Summer Fling
              2003 Chaparral Sunesta 243

Comment

I have one of those kits and turned it into a flusher for my trailer brakes. Hooked up a live well pump and hose to it...
                1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
                4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
                07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

Working...
                X