Volvo 3l. Trying to find TDC. Starter turns engine over too much to land on TDC.

As the title says, I can't see how it is possible to get a socket on the crank nut, with the engine in the boat, to find TDC. Am I missing something? I am using a remote starter.

kenny nunez

Captain
Use a 15/16th box wrench to rotate the alternator pulley with the spark plugs removed.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
With the plugs removed, you can wrap the crank pulley with a tie down strap until the hook on the strap can be used with a bar to turn the crank. I use a rubber cork on the #1 cylinder. When it blows out, you know you are on TDC on the compression stroke. Sounds silly but it is pretty foolproof. Dave-R

fishrdan

Admiral
Plugs out and the alternator gone, I'd use a strap wrench on the harmonic balancer (crank pulley) as it should be easy to turn over.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Never turn a motor from the crank bolt. Usually damages the crank

On a 3.0, pull front motor mount, put a few long screws in the balancer hub screw holes and use a pry-bar

fishrdan

Admiral
On a 3.0, pull front motor mount, put a few long screws in the balancer hub screw holes and use a pry-bar

Come to think of it, that's how I turned my 3.0L last time I needed to find TDC, through, you don't need to pull the front motor mount to install the bolts.

Take a 1 1/2" long bolts and a 1" stacks of washers, and bolt them to the 3 balancer holes, then pry on the stacked washers to turn the engine.