Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Spewing Milksake 4.3L Penta

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spewing Milksake 4.3L Penta

2001 4.3L GL PEFS Volvo penta, Outdrive SX-M 1.79
    I literally just bought this boat today..I looked at it for the first time yesterday at the guys house and I ran it in his driveway on the hose and it ran and sounded perfect! The engine only has 24 original hrs on it.... so I got the cash and paid him today, brought the boat home ( present for my wife's birthday!) and put it on my hose to show my wife and within 30-45seconds it starts spewing milkshake everywhere!! The only difference was that i did not put the outdrive in gear at his house but I did at mine, could this be some sort of seal between the outdrive and motor letting water in the block? The entire motor is filled with this stuff including the pan and it was GUSHING out! it was coming out of the port side exhaust vapor vent. I didn't show any sigh of this at his house and it's only been ran about five minutes since the first time I looked at it. The guy said he had it on the water a week ago and it ran great, I'd like to believe he is telling the truth. I saw a couple of the EXACT same pictures as mine, same motor and everything, on this forum, but no of the postees ever posted the findings/fixes. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Here is links to the pictures

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzO...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzO...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzO...ew?usp=sharing (engine info)
    Last edited by ThaSHIRA; October 1st, 2017, 12:55 PM.

Cracked engine block is the most likely issue . . . nothing to do with being in gear vs. in neutral.

I guess the 'guy' got the best of you.

Running on the muffs in the driveway is not the test of an engine. It was probably during that time in the driveway when the engine filled up with water. Your running of it today brought it to an overflow situation.

Did you check the oil at the guy's house after it was run?
    Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
    Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
    Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

Member of the Month - February 2013

Comment

welcome aboard

a 17 year old boat with only 24 hours.....something fishy there

agree with Ted....cracked block

most likely the prior owner knew about the cracked block too.
      1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
      1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
      2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
      1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Well I feel like am idiot.

Thanks for the inputs. I'll let ya'll know what i find out

Comment

Nothing is ever as bad as it seems. It takes a few hours to pull the engine and for me a day to remove parts from the old engine on to the new long block. Yes there goes 2K. But now you have a brand new engine, and the boat is ready to go for another 17 years and the boat is worth more because of that. Yes it all sucks, and maybe the guy will split the costs with you. Some states have laws that on a major purchase and you have 3 days to rescind. Good luck Dave-R

Comment

You might luck out and it was the intake that cracked. 4.3s have a drain plug on the intake that is often missed

Comment

Working...
            X