TILT TRIM

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Could someone tell me what (part #?) tilt trim ram/cylinder I might need for this outdrive?

2008 Volvo-Penta 8.1 GI-J
Drive Unit...DPS-A 1.78

Fun Times

Staff member
If this direct link works for you, here will be your parts catalog under your serial number 4202233845 for both the stern drive unit and "Transom Shield", https://www.volvopentashop.com/EPC/...270?path=MarineDrivesAndTransmissions/7746270
If the direct link don't work, try inputting your serial numbers into the search bar on top.

^ But for us to help find parts for the trim cylinder system, we'd need to know your "Transom Shield" serial or product number to help narrow down what Transom Shield "Model" type you have as there are a few and without being an actual Volvo penta dealer being able to look up your/A registered stern drive serial number to possibly find your Transom Shield (or engine model) serial number, everything would be just a guess on our part as to which parts or parts section you truly need to help find the correct part numbers regarding the trim system.

Transom Shield numbers will look about the same as the stern drive numbers but usually they'll have/start with "TSK" in place of the DPS-A.

Last edited:

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
If you haven't passed out when seeing what a new ram costs, if it just a leaking ram there are places that repair heavy equipment rams quite cheap. I have seen quite a few posts where people have done just that. I have also seen repair kits for them that you can buy also. When I owned a back-hoe I did just that. Good luck Dave-R

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys! I started tearing into them yesterday and eventually got them off and torn down. Rebuild kit off eBay has been ordered.. Overall it went well. Hopefully I can say the same about the assembly. The joys of boat ownership, right?!?!

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A tip, drop the seals in hot water to make then a bit softer & pliable, as you are reassembling you will understand why.

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Received the kit and rebuilt both cylinders. Not horrible. I'd go on a limb and say I'm decently mechanically but many of you would laugh at my small tool collection. I ended up having to Dremel out a notch on a washer that would slide around the ram cylinder itself so I could place it on the cylinder cap and smack it down to removed the retainer ring. In hindsight I'd say it's probably a 6.5 out of 10 on the difficulty scale for a do it yourselfer. As far as bleeding out the system...definitely have a helper. Doing it myself, getting in and out of the boat, under a monster swim deck, all with a bad knee...GIANT P.I.T.A.!!! Oh well...it's done now. Thanks for the input!