Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Volvo Penta 5.7Gi-D Strange problem. It will crank but not start after sitting 3days

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo Penta 5.7Gi-D Strange problem. It will crank but not start after sitting 3days

I have a Monterey 322 with dual 5,7Gi-Ds. One engine will crank strong but not start after sitting for 3 days.
    If I take the plugs out crank the engine, put the plugs back in, it starts right up.
    Or If I disconnect the fuel pump, crank the engine a few times then it will start right up
    30 minutes later it will start
    6 hours later it will start
    24 hours later it will start
    2-3 days later it will not start until I disconnect the fuel pump or take the plugs out again.
    The plugs do not have any rust and look clean

I a have already replaced the fuel pump (it was making loud noise anyway), the starter, and distributor cap and rotor.

Please help

I don't see pulling plugs, crank, or disconnecting pump as causing it to start. What is might be happening is in doing this your moving a connection which starts to work again.

Do you hear the fuel pump turn ON when key is turned?
    Get a fuel pressure gauge and attach to the fuel rail (item 20). Should be able to rent a gauge from the local auto parts store.
    Check connectors at the distributor and crankshaft position. Remove connector and see if there is any corrosion
    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
    07 SeaDoo GTX
    Raw Water Pump Maintenance
    Merc Adults Only

Comment

Thanks for responding.
      Yes the fuel pump makes the noise every time. Itís brand new, (I had the same problem before I replaced it)
      The fuel pressure is is good, I had it checked by two people.
      Distributor should be on since the cap and rotor was replaced as week but I will double check it. Today I plan to change crank sensor.

But, it definitely feels like the engine is flooding over time, if thatís true how could it be flooding over a few days? I mentioned the plugs were clean so i dont think itís water. Plus if it was, at least some other fbthe culinders would fire. I thinks itís flooding with gas somehow.

Comment

I don't see if flooding, your either not getting gas or spark and need to find out which one.

What is the pressure reading of good pressure?
        94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
        95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
        07 SeaDoo GTX
        Raw Water Pump Maintenance
        Merc Adults Only

Comment

Mmm...im thinking one of two scenarios...

Either you have water ingress from a corroded manifold or riser or
          It's time for a compression test. The engine may be down on compression and when warm will start, but when cold and you are turning over without plugs...it gets the chance to build up a bit of oil pressure in the cylinders by the quick cranking.
          Just a thought....
          Perhaps more likely as ad had stated or something like the distributor cap and rotor.

Comment

Working...
          X