rev counter & hour gauge

dodboss

Cadet
My rev counter on my Glastron GS259 is sticking and in idle can read 6K RPM, if I tap the gauge the reading seems to drop, so I am sure it is the gauge as the engine is ticking over correctly. I do not want to change the gauga as my hour clock is also built it to the same gauge. Is there anything I can do with the gauge to try and address the problem?

alldodge

Staff member
Either need to take it apart yourself and try to figure out what's wrong, or contact the gauge manufacture (if still in business).

If you picked up another gauge, could connect it to a battery and let run until the hours roll back up

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you can't repair the tach or have it repaired, replace it and mark the back housing with a note saying the hourmeter was replaced at XXX hours.

How many hours are on the meter?

Bondo

Staff member
if I tap the gauge the reading seems to drop, so I am sure it is the gauge as the engine is ticking over correctly. I do not want to change

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... I guess yer only option is to keep thumpin' the gauge, til it eventually dies,....

Hour meters are for maintenance,....
Nobody in their right mind actually believes an hour meter states the actual hours on a complete drive-line,....
That's a fantasy,...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
places like the speedometer shop in Milwaukee and D&D speedometer in the twin cities rebuild gauges. however they are pricey

if it bothers you that much, simply hook a 9 volt battery to the new hour meter until it reads the same as the old.