Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Another winterization question - Volvo SX-M outdrive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Another winterization question - Volvo SX-M outdrive

    The owners manual says to remove a plug on the port side of an SX drive in order to get the water out that appears to be near the bolts that hold the outdrive on the transom.

    However my SX-M does not have this plug. There is a plug on the starboard side however and I am wondering if it is the same thing? Just want to make sure i completely winterize the leg as well. The gear oil has been changed already and i have lubed the u-joint and gimbal bearings as well as having replaced the u-joint bellows and the exhaust bellows.

  • #2
    Can you post a pic? These are just drain plugs with a small rubber o ring on them. On some SX models there is a slot on that side where the drive meets the pivot housing. If this is clogged with debris and can't let water drain it can freeze and crack the housing. The plug may serve the same purpose. You can clean out that slot, with a small screwdriver.
    My Cobra has two plugs on the stbd side and one on the port. I tilt up the drive, remove them, rod out the holes and tilt it down. Then clean out the threads and put some OMC gasket sealer on the plug threads and re install. I recall reading that the Volvo only has one. But I'd check it anyway.
    1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
    4.3 OMC Cobra

    98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
    07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

    "While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Lou C View Post
      Can you post a pic? These are just drain plugs with a small rubber o ring on them. On some SX models there is a slot on that side where the drive meets the pivot housing. If this is clogged with debris and can't let water drain it can freeze and crack the housing. The plug may serve the same purpose. You can clean out that slot, with a small screwdriver.
      My Cobra has two plugs on the stbd side and one on the port. I tilt up the drive, remove them, rod out the holes and tilt it down. Then clean out the threads and put some OMC gasket sealer on the plug threads and re install. I recall reading that the Volvo only has one. But I'd check it anyway.
      i will take a picture when i get home tonight and post it online

      Comment


      • #4
        Which manual are you looking at by chance?
        2007 Seaswirl 210 BR
        Volvo Penta 5.0GL-H and SX-A
        Aerial Airborne tower
        Perfect Pass Stargazer

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by skydiveD30571 View Post
          Which manual are you looking at by chance?
          Here is what I am looking at: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/91...page=47#manual

          It appears to be for the 3.0 L but in the front of the manual my model is also included (4.3L GL)

          Comment


          • #6
            Keep in mind that there are several versions of the 4.3GL engine ("BY" series being yours) and SX drive (SX-M being yours) so this manual may not be specific to your exact model. If you don't see the plug on the side of the drive, it's safe to assume you don't have it, and that area of the drive drains water naturally through the slot that Lou referred to. A picture of the starboard plug would clear it up.
            2007 Seaswirl 210 BR
            Volvo Penta 5.0GL-H and SX-A
            Aerial Airborne tower
            Perfect Pass Stargazer

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by skydiveD30571 View Post
              Keep in mind that there are several versions of the 4.3GL engine ("BY" series being yours) and SX drive (SX-M being yours) so this manual may not be specific to your exact model. If you don't see the plug on the side of the drive, it's safe to assume you don't have it, and that area of the drive drains water naturally through the slot that Lou referred to. A picture of the starboard plug would clear it up.
              i was kind of thinking that might be the case, i will post a picture on here later. Really appreciate you guys and answering all my beginner questions!

              Comment


              • #8
                I have several more photos of both the port and starboard but here is this one for now

                Comment


                • #9
                  Are you talking about the drive or the engine block? If you have already changed the drive gear oil, checked the bellows and greased the gimbal there should be nothing else to do with the drive.
                  Summer Fling-II
                  2008 Chaparral Sunesta 264
                  Summer Fling
                  2003 Chaparral Sunesta 243

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I am talking about the outdrive. The owners manual mentioned the outdrive in particular which surprised me because i thought that the water comes out when you lower the outdrive. I have already changed the drive gear oil, i checked/replaced the bellows, and greased the u-joints and gimbal. I guess that means I am done. The manual must be referring to a different kind of SX outdrive......

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by whitebunnyflock View Post
                      I am talking about the outdrive. The owners manual mentioned the outdrive in particular which surprised me because i thought that the water comes out when you lower the outdrive. I have already changed the drive gear oil, i checked/replaced the bellows, and greased the u-joints and gimbal. I guess that means I am done. The manual must be referring to a different kind of SX outdrive......
                      As far as the drive goes, it sounds like you have done all that is needed. I suggest pulling your prop and greasing the splines if you have not done so.. Make sure you store it in the down position. You will still need to winterize the block and heads.
                      Summer Fling-II
                      2008 Chaparral Sunesta 264
                      Summer Fling
                      2003 Chaparral Sunesta 243

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        yeah i have greased the splines so i am good to go, engine is also winterized. Really appreciate all the help guys, now i have confidence that something won't break in our -25 Celsius canadian winters

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Just for future reference, in your photo just above the prop shaft bulge is a 1/8 dia hole that drains the cooling water chamber, on mine this sometimes gets blocked with marine growth, just poke it clear with a bit of wire.
                          May I also suggest over the winter that you get your prop refurbished, as it has had a few dings which will affect your performance.

                          Cranchi Ellipse 21
                          5.0Gi (PWTR) 1999.
                          DP-SM outdrive

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            you are referring to the same holes I attach my muffs to? or the one that is to the front of the leg? i will definitely get my prop refurbished, thanks for the advice!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Sign up today
                              The one toward the front of the leg not the water intakes where you put the muffs. To be on the safe side, check the other (STBD) side also, my OMC Cobra has a hole that that right under the lowest water intake hole and one fwd like you have on the port side. This is to drain water that may not run out the water intakes.
                              1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
                              4.3 OMC Cobra

                              98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
                              07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

                              "While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X