VOLVO PENTA A Q 145A REBUILD OR EXCHANGE? OR UPGRADE

Giorisso

Recruit
Hello everyone,
​I am a first timer here, and an old timer!!! I have an AQ 145a that has an unknown number of hours and looks fairly beat up. Now that I have all the free time in the world, and all I see is MORE POWER! UPGRADE! OVERHAUL! USE EFI ENGINES, ETC... I would like some realistic advise.
​Buy an overhauled engine, and outdrive, pull my gear out and have it done, or do it myself, I am a pretty good CAR mechanic not boat, is there another route that will improve performance, reliability, a different engine/outdrive combo.
​What would you guys with a lot of experience do? I will do a total restoration of this beautiful classic, but I don't like the dual carb with no choke issues etc...
Just retired and looking forward to many more years of boating and on this site!!!

kenny nunez

Captain
The 145 was a good engine and over time it was rated @ 151. Volvo parts are available for your engine and can be also sourced from auto engine supply houses.
The marine specific items such as the heat exchanger, manifold, sea water pump and related seals, gaskets electrical and fuel are easy to replace. The carburetors are easy to service they just have to be synchronized for a good idle. Volvo marine engines never have chokes but they get by without them. The ignition is a Bosch and should be no problem for you as just the engine in general. The only thing that is a problem is the #4 exhaust port that gets corroded from exhaust reversion . The head can be repaired by welding and machining back.
The engine bolts are metric but everything behind it is fractional. Get a service manual from Volvo and you will see how easy it is to work on.
Genuine Volvo marine parts are not cheap but can be had on the aftermarket. I was a Volvo dealer from 72-03.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The Volvo parts are the most expensive.
​Starters $300+ and the other parts the same big $$$.
But the Volvo drives are the best if taken care of.

You might want to look into changing to a Mercruiser sterndrive??
Look around and find a junk boat with a Mercruiser drive and let the work begin.

​Don't buy anything that says OMC

Oh yea, Welcome
​Fill out a signature and include your location.
​Iboats has a restore forum. Add yours??

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
depending on the boat, I would find a complete AQ271 and drop in the 350/290DP combo into the spot where your 145 is

Giorisso

Recruit
Thank you guys, I like the idea of upgrading to the 271, I will keep on doing my homework, Thank you all