Volvo Penta 4.3 randomly shuts down ? suggestions?

Schadow

Recruit
I have 2000 Glastron with a 4.3 Volvo Penta engine. It is a carbureted engine so I believe that makes it a GL model. The engine serial number is 4012007655. My issue is the engine will shut off at times, like someone turned the key off. This has happened while idling and while running on plane at 3,000 RPM. The longer the engine runs continuously (20 minutes +) seems to make this happen more frequently. That being said another common time for the shut off is idling as the engine is warming up. After every shut off, it starts right back up again usually with little trouble and runs well. I have tried new fuel with seafoam which has not made a difference. I have to believe this is something simple as it runs well other than the random shut downs, but I?m not sure where to start. One thing I do notice when it randomly shuts down is that the starting alert (beep beep) does not happen, for instance if the kill switch was pulled. My next step at the advice of a marina tech is to pull and clean all the electrical connections. It seems unlikely that this is some sort of overheated electrical part as it starts right up again. But I?m no mechanic?
Thanks in advance for your help

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
im guessing a corroded connection as your marine tech indicated. start by cleaning all the connections,

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
+1 on the connections. Not only check for corrosion but check the actual cables. I had a no start/power issue that was caused by a faulty positive battery cable - the cable had come loose from the lug connector inside the heat shrink so I didn't see it until I checked all connectors.

Schadow

Recruit
Thanks guys
I am a newbie at boat repair, are there particular products that work well to clean/eliminate corrosion from the connections and possibly prevent it from happening again?

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Wire brush and a sharp knife for scraping. I also use a mixture of baking soda (1 tsp/glass) and water to soak highly corroded areas.

Use vaseline to help preventing from happening again.

If the above does not solve the issue, a customer had a similar issue (VP 4.3) as yours...turned out to be a plugged fuel filter in the carburetor (where the fuel line attaches to carb).

Schadow

Recruit
Thanks Mohawkmtrs
There is another fuel filter on my engine? I replaced the inline fuel filter/water separator that looks like an oil filter already. If I follow the fuel line up to the carb will this be obvious or do I need to disassemble the carb to get at it?

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Where the fuel line enters the carb. Remove the fuel line and unscrew the fitting on the side of the carb. Inside you will find a small basket type filter. Take it out and clean it with carb cleaner. You may also want to change the length of fuel line from the separator to the carb. It may have some deterioration if ethanol fuel was used.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
This sounds like electrical problems to me. Check the kill switch lanyard as they are famous for being loose. Also check for loose connections on the key switch, as those screws seem to work loose. Dave-R