VP trim/tilt problem

bigmikec

Cadet
I have a 1997 Parker 2320 with a AD41-P and what I think is a 290DP drive. I noticed I could not trim up the drive while out last weekend. Down works fine. The digital gauge (872498) display went out and the top red led light is blinking. The switch is a dash mounted 3 button (3855650). I switched around the relays on the transom, still no up function. I switched around the relays behind the dash gauge, still no up function. Down still worked fine after switching around the relays.

Got the boat home and did some additional troubleshooting. I noticed there are 2 green wires coming from the pump motor, 1 has a tag that says attach to motor housing, that one is attached there. The other wire is not attached to anything and has no tag on it! Is that a ground also??

When I turn on the ignition, I can hold the override (red) and the up button at the same time and get the drive to move up for about 2 seconds until the red light on the gauge starts blinking again. If I turn off the ignition and back on, I get the same result. I raised the drive all the way up using this process. Down still works fine with no issues.

I have searched through the forums and have not seen this problem pop up yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi Mike

A common problem with the 280 and 290 drives.
The problem is usually the trim pump unit itself or the rams passing.
Most likely he former. The pump ball valves in the unit become worn and won't hold pressure.
Very noticeable by a few indications;

If you leave the drive up, does it creep down ?
When under way, the drive cannot be trimmed up because the force of the forward propulsion overcomes the ability of the weak pump to lift the drive up.

Like I say, most likely the pump or ram seals.
If it's not leaking oil outwardly and into the water, it will most likely be the pump. Not cheap to replace, but don't mess around with second hand units.

The red flashing on the trim indicator on dash is likely caused because the drive is not doing what the trim is trying to or your trim sender cog is worn or slipped and needing re calibrated.

First thing to do is leave the drive tilted fully up and see if it creeps down over 24 hrs or less. Mine was that bad (on old boat 290dp before I eventually replaced pump) that it would be visible to the eye and take less than a minute to fall down from fully up. It also wouldn't trim up when under way and against the force of the forward propulsion.
I'd imagine yours is pretty bad too.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If the gauge is dead, you need the trailer button to raise

bigmikec

Cadet
Hi Mike

A common problem with the 280 and 290 drives.
The problem is usually the trim pump unit itself or the rams passing.
Most likely he former. The pump ball valves in the unit become worn and won't hold pressure.
Very noticeable by a few indications;

If you leave the drive up, does it creep down ?
When under way, the drive cannot be trimmed up because the force of the forward propulsion overcomes the ability of the weak pump to lift the drive up.

Like I say, most likely the pump or ram seals.
If it's not leaking oil outwardly and into the water, it will most likely be the pump. Not cheap to replace, but don't mess around with second hand units.

The red flashing on the trim indicator on dash is likely caused because the drive is not doing what the trim is trying to or your trim sender cog is worn or slipped and needing re calibrated.

First thing to do is leave the drive tilted fully up and see if it creeps down over 24 hrs or less. Mine was that bad (on old boat 290dp before I eventually replaced pump) that it would be visible to the eye and take less than a minute to fall down from fully up. It also wouldn't trim up when under way and against the force of the forward propulsion.
I'd imagine yours is pretty bad too.

The drive stays up fine with no sagging down. How can I check to see if the calibration is off? Would that be the next step?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the blinking light is "out of range". depending on the VP controls, one has a trailer button, the other just the up/down where the up down switch will have two settings in the up position, one only requires light pressure, the other requires heavy pressure on the swtich.

I would follow the trouble shooting guide at the back of the factory manual.

bigmikec

Cadet
Thanks, I am going back to the boat tomorrow, I'll see if I have the Manual on the boat.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
If you want to make sure the pump and motor are functioning, run a hot wire and ground wire to the two wires on the motor. Then reverse the wires. That should send the drive up or down. If that works, you only have switch problems. Some systems have a trim limit switch that will only allow you raise the drive a small amount. This type of system usually has a trailer switch to allow complete up travel when you are ready to bring the drive all the way up. Dave-R

bigmikec

Cadet
If you want to make sure the pump and motor are functioning, run a hot wire and ground wire to the two wires on the motor. Then reverse the wires. That should send the drive up or down. If that works, you only have switch problems. Some systems have a trim limit switch that will only allow you raise the drive a small amount. This type of system usually has a trailer switch to allow complete up travel when you are ready to bring the drive all the way up. Dave-R

Thanks Dave. I will give that a try. I can't get back to the boat until Saturday. I'll let you guys know what I come up with.