8.1 GI-H / DPS-A Maintenance Assistance

AdamIPS

Cadet
I just purchased a used 2007 Cobalt 232 a couple of months ago that is powered by a 8.1 GI-H and a DPS-A. The boat has 360 hours on it and is in great condition. That being said, since I don't know all of it's service history, I'm going to do a lot of preventative work. There is also a couple of things I'm questioning that I'll go into below.

My previous boat was a Mercruiser 4.3 with an alpha drive, so this new Volvo setup is totally foreign to me. I did all the work to that setup and refuse to pay someone to do something I'm more than capable of doing.

My plans are to do the following in preparation for the next boating season:

Oil change
Fuel filter
Drive oil change
Bellows
Spark plugs
Serpentine belt
Impeller

I ordered an oil filter, fuel filter, bellows kit, impeller and a new belt. Along with that I also had to purchase the prop tool for the F series duoprops.

I set off to start the oil change and noticed right off that my oil suction tube won't fit down the dipstick tube as it is narrow and has several curves. Any suggestions on the correct oil change pump? I just have a cheapo 12v unit from Harbor Freight which worked fine on the Mercruiser. I also decided on using Mobil 1 15w-50 after reading several oil threads.

I then got to reading about changing the drive fluid and have read conflicting info on which weight of Volvo drive lube to use. Is 75w90 correct? I also didn't realize I needed to order new O-rings for the dipstick, fill plug and drain plug. I'm seeing all kinds of different part numbers for these. Which are the correct ones?

Next I'm going to change the bellows. After reading the service manual, it seems more complicated than on my Mercruiser. Can someone direct me toward a good video or less intrusive instructions? It appears from the manual a lot of things are removed that don't have to be.

I also ordered a new serpentine belt because I have noticed some belt dust in the bilge area. While examining the belt, it appears the forward edge is wearing off. Is there anything else I should also take a look at when replacing that belt that could be causing this?

As you're reading my plans, is there anything else you suggest doing? If I have to pull the entire drive to change the bellows I might as well replace the gimbal bearing and do an engine alignment. I've got a slight vibration, but I believe it's the props. They're being sent off to be refurbished over the winter. Is there any special gaskets, sealants or any other parts required besides the obvious bearing? Again, any videos or instructions would be helpful.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Get the volvo service manual

Drive fluid is synthetic

Your boat may have an oil ddrain hose. If not, get a garden hose adapter for your pump and simply thread on the dipstick tube

Prop shaft grease on the prop shafts

Read the diy stickies at tge top of the forum on shortcuts for bellows job

AdamIPS

Cadet
Get the volvo service manual

Drive fluid is synthetic

Your boat may have an oil ddrain hose. If not, get a garden hose adapter for your pump and simply thread on the dipstick tube

Prop shaft grease on the prop shafts

Read the diy stickies at tge top of the forum on shortcuts for bellows job

Thanks for the reply.

So the fluid is the 75w-90 synthetic, not the GL-5 80w-90? Again, I ask because of so many conflicting posts.

I've already downloaded the manual and have reviewed it. I was looking for some tips and tricks. I reviewed the posts in the sticky, but only see a post about bellows on an SX... I have a DPS (unless the steps are the same).

Anyone have input on the correct o rings for the outdrive? I still have conflicting info between several posts and the parts schematic there as well. I don't have a close VP dealer so I have to order everything online.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Use the volvo penta brand fluid

In the US, go to volvopentastore.com for parts breakdown. You can go thru the iBoats page

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
There are two separate O ring sizes for the three plugs. I think the bottom and the middle are the same size and the upper "dip stick" is larger in size. 3852045 is the dip stick O ring part number and the two others are part #3855081. Buy several at one time and change them out each year.

Use synthetic GL5 gear lube without limited slip LS additives. It can be hard to find aftermarket, Ive found it best to get Volvo specific or from Amsoil.

I would plan to pull the drive at the end of the season and service it. Changing oil, bellows and maybe even the gimbal. Check the U joints too. Since you are not sure when it may have last been done.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I personally run amsoil. regarding the o-rings, buy an o-ring kit (not the volvo specific kit). I have a tool-box with about $200 worth of o-rings. makes life easy.

good idea on pulling the drive and resetting the maintenance clock. also, pick up the water inlet fitting that the hose attaches to. while not listed as a change every few years, it is a known issue. while the drive is off for the biennial bellows change is the best time to change it.