Dolly to support leg

I will be building a dolly as well to support the leg and plan to use 2 X 4s and 3/4" plywood. I have seen the many plans on here and they look good. Will 2 X 4s be strong enough to ensure there is no "give" when the leg comes to rest on the dolly and so that it remains level with the transom where it goes in?

just want to know if anyone has had any problems with this as I do not have a hoist and this will be my only means of dealing with the leg.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I used to have a wood one made out of 2x4s until I welded up the one I use now.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Mine is framed of 2x4`s mounted on a Harbor Freight four caster wood moving dolly. It works well.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I will be building a dolly as well to support the leg and plan to use 2 X 4s and 3/4" plywood. I have seen the many plans on here and they look good. Will 2 X 4s be strong enough to ensure there is no "give" when the leg comes to rest on the dolly and so that it remains level with the transom where it goes in?

just want to know if anyone has had any problems with this as I do not have a hoist and this will be my only means of dealing with the leg.

the whole outdrive is about #125. just the lower is about #50

you could use 3/4 x 1-1/2 and be strong enough. 2x4's and 3/4 plywood is severe overkill

ok thanks for the advice, i will not overkill it in that case. Will hopefully be building it tomorrow on a moving dolly from princess auto.