1999 4.3L GL V6 Volvo Penta and SX-M leg necessary maintenance?

Also the seloc manual says that I might as well replace the u-joint, exhaust bellows and water hose while I have the leg separated from the motor. what i can see of the bellows (being that i have not yet removed the leg) they look fine and i simply can't fathom regularly replacing these items. That said this is my first year owning the boat and it is a 1999 model so perhaps it does need to be done.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Replace the u-joint bellows every 5 years with an OEM bellows. Exhaust can be run until it splits.

Always store your drive in the down position. Much better for your bellows.

Buy an OEM manual for the model you have. Don't go by the year itself.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
If you are not sure when it was last done, I would look into doing it soon. Depending on how much is left of your boating season, you might be able to finish up this season before doing. But I would definitely have it done before next season starts.

is there a special tool to install/remove bellows? I would obviously buy the alignment tool.

You guys are indicating that it is not necessarily the case that the u joint would automatically need to be replaced? would assume that i can grease it and move on unless it looks bad

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
No special install tool for bellows besides the 1/2"hex driver to take out the pivot pins for the gimbal housing. BTW, some people can replace the bellows without removing this housing but I always remove it. Make is way easier.

If u-joints are quiet and they pass visual/physical inspection, grease them if they have zerks and leave them.

Maclin

Admiral
If you wait too long on the bellows and water gets in then the u-joints go soon after, which is a good reason to stay up on the bellows. If gimbal bearing and alignment are all staying good then the u-joints may never be a problem.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
thanks for all the help, i have the alignment tool on order and will get it next week, so wont be long until i perform all of this service.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
i simply can't fathom regularly replacing these items.

There are no sweeter words that a Marine Mechanic likes to hear except maybe "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Bellows job before they start leaking = $$$
Bellows job after they start leaking = $$$$
Yup that's right, it can double or triple the cost.

Find out what the regular maintenance is for your boat and do it. Will be much cheaper in the long run.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
is there a special tool to install/remove bellows? I would obviously buy the alignment tool.

You guys are indicating that it is not necessarily the case that the u joint would automatically need to be replaced? would assume that i can grease it and move on unless it looks bad

​No special tool for the Volvo except the hinge pin wrench (1/2" allen I think same as on the OMC Cobra). You should be:
​following the maintenance manual and removing the drive at the end of the year. Then you can inspect the bellows for cracks and water. I have had them last a really long time, but I'm not telling you not to replace them as is recommended in the manual. The bellows job if you do it yourself is 50-70 bucks for an OE bellows. If you have a leak in the bellows and you neglect to check for that, then you get to replace the gimble, maybe replace the u joints and drive shaft because for some odd reason, Volvo decreed that you shouldn't be able to replace U joints separately, you need to buy a whole new shaft and pay to have it installed.
​If you want a low maintenance marine power system you do not want a sterndrive or I/O. Everyone who knows boats knows they need the MOST maintenance to remain reliable. If you want low maintenance sell the I/O and buy a new or nearly new 4 stroke outboard. They are trouble free about 10 years here in salt water.

it also appears that i need to remove the gimbal housing to get at the u joint bellows. which means needing the steering arm puller (part # 3854361). IT maybe seems like i shouldn't need to go this far as in theory i should be able to get at the ring clamp next to the transom and then remove the bellows through the back of the gimbal housing?

Figured I better ask this before i get any further.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You only need to remove the gimbal pivot housing. That's the part that tilts up and down that the bellows is attached to. Not the part that steers.