Help identify volvo outdrive on an AQ150B by model and SN. PZNR B223768 SN:2977923

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need help identifying my outdrive so I can be sure I'm buying the right parts. The engine is a 1969 AQ150B (Buick V6). The numbers on the upper part of the outdrive are
PZNR B223768

For those of you that don't think I have enough numbers, I have attached some pictures of the plate. This is an uncommon engine, so I'm having a hard time finding much information on it. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• photo276680.JPG
    photo276680.JPG
    311.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo276681.jpg
    photo276681.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 0

kenny nunez

Captain
Basically you have a 250-270 drive. The parts are the same as for drive shaft bellows and drive seals. Volvos can be had with any style of engine that is marinized. The engine you have probably has a 1 barrel carburetor. OMC had a similar set up. They also had a 2 barrel model that was 155 hp. The ignition is a GM style so points and condenser are easily obtained. Just be sure to get the ignition parts from NAPA and stay away from the mass marketer auto stores with the Chinese copies. The manifolds and thermostat housing is any bodies guess, could be OSCO or Pleasure Craft, is there a name on the engine pertaining to the conversion? This is not a Volvo product, many marinizers would buy the drives and use what ever engine they got the best price on. Everything excluding the engine can be purchased from a Volvo dealer or some after market sources.

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
Basically you have a 250-270 drive. The parts are the same as for drive shaft bellows and drive seals. Volvos can be had with any style of engine that is marinized. The engine you have probably has a 1 barrel carburetor. OMC had a similar set up. They also had a 2 barrel model that was 155 hp. Everything excluding the engine can be purchased from a Volvo dealer or some after market sources.
I know the engine is a Buick V6 225 Dauntless Oddfire Fireball (it has a lot of nicknames). It has a 2 barrel rochester carb on it. After looking at the service manual for the AQ150, I determined it originally had an AQ200 drive. Now I'm trying to figure out if this is the original drive, and I need to find the part numbers for the seal and the bearing for the PDS. Do you know another engine the AQ200 was behind so I can look it up on the volvo site?

kenny nunez

Captain
The AQ 170 was a 6 cylinder Volvo engine that was used with the 200 and later drives. The bearings in the adapter housing are generaic and the drive flex plate is the same as an inboard . One good thing about Volvo is that original parts are still available. Not cheap but great quality.
Another nickname for the engine, "nailhead" because the valves are vertical. I only saw 1 combination like yours when I had my shop.

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
The AQ 170 was a 6 cylinder Volvo engine that was used with the 200 and later drives. The bearings in the adapter housing are generaic and the drive flex plate is the same as an inboard . One good thing about Volvo is that original parts are still available. Not cheap but great quality.
Another nickname for the engine, "nailhead" because the valves are vertical. I only saw 1 combination like yours when I had my shop.
I looked on the volvo online store at all of the AQ 170's (A, B, and C), and I couldn't find any 200 drives. I even checked the AQ 171.

I'm not positive what I have is a 200. Is there a way to identify what the drive is from the numbers stamped on the drive PZNR B223768
2977923?

kenny nunez

Captain
As I remember the 200s and earlier were white and all drives after that were more of a gray color. You may have some luck contacting Volvo in Chesapeake Va. and try to talk to one of the tech guys in the service dept.

kenny nunez

Captain
The 200 and earlier were pure white. All models after were more of a light gray. Did you try to contact Volvo in Chesapeake, Va. If you can get someone on the phone in the service department you may have some luck. The 171 was a completely different engine.

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
The 200 and earlier were pure white. All models after were more of a light gray. Did you try to contact Volvo in Chesapeake, Va. If you can get someone on the phone in the service department you may have some luck. The 171 was a completely different engine.

I may definitely have the 200 then. Mine is all white. The plate that was on the intermediate cover is missing, so I don't know what it would have said.

Thanks for all your help Kenny. I'll try to get a hold Volvo in VA.